Victoria - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2019

Victoria

Home and Already Planning 7.0 (But First a Wedding 😍)

We had a smooth journey home. We love the Zurich to Vancouver direct flight. We love saying goodbye to those giant bike boxes in Zurich and not seeing them again until Victoria. We love that Zurich has an oversized scanner so the boxes don’t have to be opened. 

Everything was as straightforward at the airport as it is possible to be in 2019. The Air Canada agent was a little alarmed when we arrived with our bikes as we have them in electric bike boxes and that is how the boxes are labeled. We assured her the bikes were not e assist, the Chief Mechanic just finds the size of those boxes so great for packing the bikes. As luck would have it the oversized luggage drop is right beside Air Canada check in and we were on our way to customs very quickly. There was no lineup and we breezed through. 

There was no line up at security either (how do the Swiss manage this so well?) and things were going so smoothly. Much to my surprise I was pulled aside after walking through the scanner...I really was puzzled. Random check. Okay then!  But I turned around to find Keith’s bag being emptied. We were now both puzzled until the woman pulled the pedal wrench out of his pannier. Oops.  It was quite funny the way she held it up, and it was pretty clear from our expressions that we were very, very surprised to see it.  He has absolutely no recollection of putting it in there after removing the pedals, but obviously he did, and I totally understand why he didn’t see it hiding in the bottom when he did the final pack. He has a new pedal wrench in his future. 

Our flight was smooth...a three movie flight...our connection to Victoria was quick and soon there was my friend Anne picking us up at the airport. We have the bikes together, the laundry is done (those bike boxes should have been labeled biohazard) and we have done a few shakedown rides and are pretty much over the jet lag. We are freezing here though!  It has been windy and cool. Hopefully that is short lived. 

Almost there. It was looking like home.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Keith has been working on a statistical summary and we want to write our impressions of this tour so we are not quite done with the blog. We are looking forward first to Australia, and then to Poking Around Europe 7.0. We are so very, very lucky. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks for taking me around the circuit again. It has been a great COVID distraction. But now in contrast to a peaceful cycling tale, I am turning to Raiders of the Lost Ark on Netflix. Soon enough, though, I'll be Poking Around 5 with you!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve - Glad you enjoyed reading...reminded me to get back to finish rereading it myself. Hope you guys are doing well coping with this Covid thing. We are looking forward to getting vaccinated whenever that may happen and returning hopefully to some semblance of our former lives. We really don’t expect at this point a European trip is in the cards this calendar year unfortunately. Take care guys!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith ClassenWe are travelling vicariously now, through Cycleblaze and Youtube. But tonight we watched "The Dig" on Netflix - about the archaeological discovery of an Anglo Saxon ship and treasure buried at Sutton Hoo, in Suffolk. This triggered some Google mapping, and plans to visit there someday. But we also remembered a Roman wine ship, along the Mosel, sending us to read our own account of that. Typically, our main recollection of the town with the ship (Neumagen) was of the Romerweinschiff Cafe and its pastries. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/books/day-11-neumagen-to-zell/
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith ClassenAh.... the Moselle. I read with interest your journal entry on Day 11 of your ride up the Moselle. Our first bike trip started off with the Moselle and we vowed we would get back (which we did). Like yourselves notable memories of the Moselle is food related including the best apple strudel we have ever had, an unbelievable buffet breakfast at our stay at a winery setting an upper standard....along of course with the pretty villages and the steepest vineyards we have ever seen. And hopefully we will get back there again one day!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago