Zurich - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2019

Zurich

A Hot Lazy Day

As promised last night, we slept in and started the day by lingering over breakfast. The Hotel Allegra Lodge has a good one, and we had no pressing agenda for the day so we enjoyed. Keith ate more croissants. He is working on providing an official estimate.  He loves them.  We need to find a good source in Victoria. 

Then it was down to the basement storage room to box the bikes. The Chief Mechanic has been using electric bike boxes the last few years and I find them big to manhandle around airports but they certainly make it easier to pack the bikes. The airline doesn’t bat an eye.  The only challenge this year is that our gear had to be divided into three piles. The stuff that is going to Berlin with us in two very small ultralight backpacks, the stuff that is going in the bike boxes into the hold and the stuff that will stay here in our carry on pannier until we fly home. 

I am astonished at how little I am taking to Berlin (Keith too). It will be close to 30 degrees while we are there, which makes it easier, and I am not hoofing a pannier to Berlin. It is amazing how little you really need. 

My favourite bike mechanic hard at work.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bikes packed and very lightly taped (good thing too, I just found our beloved picnic knife in the room) we walked to the airport so we know exactly where to go in the morning. We decided to walk rather than take the shuttle as it will be our only exercise today. It took a surprisingly long time to figure everything out at the airport. So nice to do it in a relaxed fashion rather than feeling pressured in the morning. 

We liked the architecture of this building across from the airport. It is an interesting thing to do, walking to a large airport. You feel very small. It wasn’t difficult, just interesting. We basically followed the combined bike pedestrian path.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once back from the airport, and a quick snack in the train station we had a long nap. We took exactly two pictures today and you have seen them both.  We are currently enjoying a glass of wine in the hotel lobby  and contemplating dinner.  It is another beautiful, warm evening.  Tomorrow will be much more interesting, I promise!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonHopefully not too interesting. Flights should be boring. Good luck!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jane WallaceYour wonderful trip is coming to an end but you will come home to such good weather. It has been too hot on occasion and we do need
rain. Enjoy your trip once again to Berlin.....and also coming home
to birthday celebrations and then a wedding. Doesn't get any better
than that. I will miss your blog when you are home.....but you will
go again.
Safe flight....hugs Jane and her sidekick Al
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenThanks Jane for following along!!! At the airport now waiting for flight to Berlin. Hope to see you this summer...a bike ride to Mayne Island for a visit is always fun. Hi to your sidekick!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonHave you ever got that right! Welcome home. We are sitting in the airport now, victims of my desire to allow way too much time. Who knew security would take all of two minutes? Swiss organization 👍.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago