Interlaken to Lucerne - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2019

Interlaken to Lucerne

We Will Remember This One!

Today was the penultimate ride of the tour and it was such a memorable one. Absolutely a fantastic day. It was super. 

Breakfast came first of course, and the never ending attempt to get going a little earlier. We failed at that again, but we enjoy our slow starts. There were two ways to start today, down the north side of the lake, where our hotel was, or down the south. We just weren’t sure which was best. The proprietor of the hotel knew her stuff and sent us down the north side. 

We got such a kick out of this young couple at the hotel. I am guessing honeymooners, and when they finished their breakfast they went outside and began a picture taking session that lasted a full half hour.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today felt like multiple rides rolled into one. Part One was the ride along the Brienzersee. The ride was brilliant. We were treated to outstanding views the whole way. We loved it. The road was very quiet and the few cars that passed gave us plenty of room. We were on Swiss National Route 9 most of the day. 

The views just kept coming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped in front of this house because of the amazing birdsong we were hearing. See the nesting boxes up under the eaves on the left? They had nothing to do with it. The woman who lives there returned home while we were vainly trying to see the birds and pointed out her pet birds in the cage on the lower right. We aren’t sure what kind...that got lost in the translation, but the three of us had a good laugh.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Happy bike tourer on a quiet road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another beautiful view.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Part Two was when we lost elevation and arrived lakeside in Brienz,  an hour before the Jodelfest and Alpenhorn competition was to have its opening ceremony. It happens every four years. People were rolling in on tour buses, in cars and on the train. It looked like it was going to be a blast. The woman I was talking to said it is a bit overwhelming for such a small town as they were expecting 30 000 people. I just wanted to hear someone yodel!  Keith popped into Tourist Info and I watched the bikes and the show. The beer trucks rolling into town were like an unofficial parade. We enjoyed the atmosphere and then started climbing out of town. 

This is where the opening ceremonies were to be held.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Practicing their speeches perhaps?
Heart 1 Comment 0
People in local dress everywhere.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Do you need a new Alpenhorn? These folks will set you right up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I wanted to ask these guys to yodel for me, but the CN stopped me. They were headed into the Jodlerbar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More local colour, but what I really like about this picture is the Alpenhorn case.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Part Three was the Brünig Pass. We were really looking forward to this, our last pass of the trip. It turned out to be a bit of a nervy ride. Keith routed us off the road for a bit, and that part, while a consistent climb, was brilliant. We also avoided a tunnel. But there is only one way over the pass, so on to the road we went. The pass has sections with a 13% grade and we, of course, were doing the ride loaded. The road was very narrow and very busy. The climbing was fine, but on some of the steeper sections, there was absolutely no opportunity to stop or move over until there was a pullout. It was tricky but challenging. I personally didn’t like the sections with concrete bollards instead of guard rails to keep cars from going off the road...they had lovely big spaces between for me to fall into the abyss. We had to stay tight to the edge because of the traffic and she who doesn’t like heights needed those pullouts, few and far between that they were, to mentally regroup. The great thing about the pullouts is they coincided with great views. The drivers were amazing and we are so pleased to have done it, despite the challenges. 

Starting to climb.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Trailside companions.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Honey, what do you mean we have to ride over that???
Heart 4 Comment 0
Keith managed to get this atmospheric picture.
Heart 8 Comment 0
But this is what it really looked like.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Me heading into the next pullout.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is the view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Look what was at the top! No picnic for us today. The CN decided a treat was in store. We ate on the deck and the view was amazing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our view from our table. Amazing.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Two happy cyclists.
Heart 7 Comment 0
We are so glad we did it. It would be amazing without the cars.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Part Four was the descent. We peeled off the road and went down a gravel track at a 13% grade for a bit and then were back on a paved route through the most amazing scenery, with life happening all around us. We chatted with two young Moms with four adorable boys between them, we  loved the scenery, and we loved being away from the cars. It was such a memorable ride. 

We could have taken the train over the pass. Where is the fun in that??
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hard at work. We both decided we would rather be the guy driving the tractor. I wonder if they take turns?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Gorgeous scenery.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rocky outcroppings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Such an great track.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Around a corner and boom. This view.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Beautiful church.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Lots of new construction happening in Switzerland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw many waterfalls today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Managing hay with a leaf blower.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode down one particularly steep section and met Lisa and Jim going up. We had a great chat with both of them and they were wondering about the climb ahead. It was a challenge for sure. They said the sign at the bottom had told them they had 200 m at 12%. We knew that wasn’t right as we had stopped where we were so Keith’s rims could cool. It was a long descent. 

The view from where we stopped.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On their way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bon courage!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped to look at the sign at the bottom. We hope they are reading this for future considerations because what this sign means is the climb is 2 km at 12% and they would gain 200 m in elevation. Gulp.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The final part of the ride was gorgeous, straightforward and so much fun.   We had done so much visiting, eating, admiring that we spun the pedals. A ridiculous headwind had developed in the valley so I was sucking it up behind the Chief Windbreak for a bit.  We also had two little adventures. 

So pretty, and protected from the wind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Also pretty and protected from the wind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Adventure number one. That is a runway. Yup, we rode through a military airport and across the runways. This is where the jets came from that were thrilling me all day. The runways have the same lights and barriers that come down as the train tracks, and we were able to ride across them. I am staring down one in disbelief. As Keith said, this was a first.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Now riding along side the airport and not so protected from the wind!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Adventure number two. Off with the shoes and through the flooded path.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonYou have all the fun!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rachael AndersonWe carry Croc flip flops (light and comfortable). I didn’t think to put them on until I hit pebbles halfway across and I wasn’t going back. The return trip without the bike to lean on was ouch ouch! Out came the Crocs for carrying the panniers across. I carried mine one at a time. It was fun. You never know what to expect, do you?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetThat looks so much nicer than Breton mud!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
It was over my knees in the middle. That is one way to clean a bike chain. Not the best way though. The chains will be getting attention tomorrow.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Mike AylingAnd the bottom bracket bearings and maybe the wheel bearings if you went deep enough!

Mike
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Mike AylingIt was such a surprise to be portaging! I had to make three trips, one with the bike and two more with the panniers. I wasn’t strong enough to stagger across with a pannier in each hand as I had to hold them up high. The chains have had attention here and both bikes will go to our local bike shop for some TLC when we get home. Thanks for the heads up to let them know about the portage. We have so much to learn about bike maintenance, and me much more so than Keith!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
I am coming back for my panniers here while macho man tries to figure out what just happened. He didn’t mean to put his feet down. Maybe he will walk his bike next time.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I whipped out my phone to get this picture of Keith coming across. The water was warm! When he arrived on the other side he said turn around. I did, and there was a man I had spoken to who had arrived by bike, and was now naked and about to go for a swim. You really never know what you are going to see.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After that the ride into Lucerne was drama free. There is so much more I could say about today’s amazing ride, and so many more pictures but I am getting so sleepy. We have had a great evening and done a walk about the old town. We are staying here for two nights before the ride to the Zurich airport so we are looking forward to tomorrow and more exploring. It is a beautiful city. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I love the Relive today. I think the picture of Keith walking his panniers through the flooded area is priceless. 

https://www.relive.cc/view/2449634533

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 2,375 km (1,475 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWhat an incredible ride, chapeau for braving the challenges of the pass road! I am in awe of the amazing climbs and distances you have taken on, and with such elan! So sorry your trip is coming to an end. I'll be missing the daily inspiration!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenThanks Suzanne! The pass was quite nerve racking with no shoulder. Trucks and buses followed by a line of cars came in waves. And the noisy motorcycles to really test the nerves. We waited till we heard no traffic then sprinted to the next pullout. Couldn’t really stop to let them pass because of grade and difficulty of starting again. Thank goodness for the pullouts!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago