Lucerne - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2019

Lucerne

Beautiful but Crowded

We had a fantastic day today, and were amazed at how overwhelmed Lucerne is by tourists...which is exactly what we are. The number of tour buses in Lucerne is mind boggling, and it is certainly a happening place. We had some amazing conversations with locals who don’t quite know what to make of it. Regardless, we, in our random and unorganized way, had the most amazing day. 

Lucerne is beautiful. We wandered off the tourist trail and could really appreciate that beauty. We were able to take in the most important sights, and also find the unique and less visited. It was a fantastic day. First up was the Saturday market. 

Fabulous bread in a fabulous setting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Olives, oh my!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cheese please.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next, we just walked, away from the shopping core and along the lake. We went up above into neighbourhoods and looked at the way people live (well off people anyway) and admired the views. Then we wandered back down to the St. Leger in the Court Church. 

The famous Chapel Bridge. It is actually rebuilt after a massive fire 26 years ago and reopened in 1994.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hmmmmm. Lucerne is busy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
School grounds. The high fence keeps soccer balls and kids from going over the edge. We were well out of the tourist zone here and loving it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down on St. Leger in the Court.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Going down. We had climbed quite high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we decided it was time to find the Lion Monument. That was hilarious, because we thought it was quite high (it isn’t) and it was smaller than we expected and swarming with bus tours. We came, we took pictures and we decided to head for the old wall and towers. 

Here it is, and it is undeniably beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved this monk with his high end camera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
He has embraced technology. He was part of a large tour group.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bit of the crowd.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And this gives you a better idea.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our hunt for the wall and the towers took us well out of the tourist zone, and when we finally figured out how to get up there we almost had the place to ourselves. It was fantastic. Who knows why, because the views were amazing. 

There was lots to see on our walk to figure out how to get to the wall and towers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Love this guy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We found it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were lots of steps and the reward was spectacular views.
Heart 4 Comment 0
What a great old town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the newer bits look pretty good too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the very top.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then, true confessions, it was time for lunch, almost immediately followed by kindergarten nap time. That was blissful. We ventured out again and headed away from the downtown old city area to the parks and waterfront further away. It was very rewarding and a fantastic walk. We also discovered the tour bus parking areas (plural, believe me). It was astounding. 

Looking back. Such a beautiful place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I was betting on the swan. He was protecting his babes and his hissing was menacing. Back off big dog.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The tip of the iceberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the lake. Weather is brewing!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We watched this little family for ages. It was so entertaining and amazing. Dad was busy, busy shoring up the nest and Mom was busy, busy feeding her babies.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThey are so cute!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenThey entertained us for 20 minutes or so. They had their floating nest just a few feet below the bridge. It was fascinating watching them tend and feed the young ones. Nature truly is amazing.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking back to the old town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the train station.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The famous bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We should be able to find our way out of town tomorrow. A bike route sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was wine and dinner waterfront, where we had to bail undercover, but still outdoors, when the dramatic thunder and lightening started. We loved it, especially me. It reminded me of growing up in Ottawa and the thunder storms that would roll in and it would be wet but warm.  Such thundering drama too.  We loved it.  The power of a good storm is awe inspiring.  We lingered in the restaurant until the worst was over, and then made a laughing dash for the hotel. 

See those thunder clouds?
Heart 3 Comment 0
We retreated undercover.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They stacked the exposed tables and chairs and tied them down. It was fun to watch.
Heart 0 Comment 0

What a fantastic day. We learned so much, thanks to local people we talked to, we saw so much, both famous and mundane and we are feeling so grateful. Tomorrow we may get wet!  We are going to love it no matter how it plays out. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Helen StarkI am so sad to see this journey of yours ending. I have enjoyed every post and lived the scenery with you each step of the way. I'm so looking forward to seeing you soon.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonLooks like we’re winding up at almost the same time - we fly home Monday! Have a safe return, and thanks again for sharing your adventure with us!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonWe fly home Friday. Safe flights and a successful conclusion to your tour to you and Rachael. We are really looking forward to meeting you in Victoria. We will fine tune the details once we are both home 😀.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Helen StarkWe have new babies to meet in Berlin and good friends to visit. It will be a whirlwind trip, but I will get to hold a baby which is such a precious gift. See you very soon!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago