Day 24: Cancun : Scourge of the 22 year old programmer - Grampies' Poc Chuc Pursuit Winter 2021 - CycleBlaze

December 17, 2021

Day 24: Cancun : Scourge of the 22 year old programmer

What with nine versions of Windows completed since 1985, and such capable websites as Google, Amazon and Booking working reliably to service millions (billions?) of requests daily, we have become accustomed to computer services that generally work. That's why systems in Canada to determine who can and should be vaccinated, to make vaccination appointments, and to produce vaccination certification passes have been such a desperate disappointment. I am fond of thinking that these have been written by summer students or new graduates, without the real world experience to check if their stuff actually works in real world conditions. 

My latest scrape with such shoddy software came over two hours last night and three hours this morning. The culprit is Canada's ArriveCan app, gathering vaccination and testing details required to return to Canada. Sure, the thing tries stunts like using your phone camera to scan your passport (this never works, even with the dedicated machines found at airports), but last night, after collecting a ton of info, the app froze 80% through its save. I entered all the stuff over again, and it froze at the same place again.  I fed it different sizes/formats of our vaccination proof documents, and it froze in the same place again.

I'm still waiting!
Heart 0 Comment 0

So this morning I phoned back to the Government of Canada, on a hard to hear phone connection, and the advice was to uninstall and reinstall the app, or to use the online version. I started with the online version, using Windows 10 and a Microsoft Surface Pro - totally generic - and when the thing came to ask what airport we would be landing at, the input box for that was missing. 

"Next" won't work until you add a name in the non-existent box.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 So I tried the online system  but using an Android phone. This went into an infinite loop of asking me to log in. Too bad, because I had already won a hard battle about the login password. The app had earlier advised me that I needed a goofy password with many requirements, only to leave that advice on screen, blocking me from actually entering anything.

Get out of my way!
Heart 0 Comment 0

If your head is spinning by now, if you are ready to skip to another less frustrating blog, I am with you. Let's get the hell out of this together!

But wait. In a last desperate try I fired up our other, almost identical android phone, and this time the App worked. Go figure. Too bad, because had it not, once on our home soil any Canadian officials looking to give us grief would be sorry they came to work that day - with the Grampies on their case!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Rachael AndersonGlad you got it to work finally!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonThat was a close call! We have our fingers crossed for tomorrow! Hope all goes well!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonStill one goofy online system to go : the Mexican health form!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetYou’d think they would have learned after the payroll fiasco. This is not the kind of project to go with the lowest bidder!

On the other hand, neither of us had any problems with the ArriveCAN app. But neither of us was ever on the federal payroll either.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetWe found it impossible to learn which dopes contracted by the Ministry of Health actually wrote some of the stuff, and even through our MLA we could get nor give feedback to Adrian Dix.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sue PriceIt would have been pretty funny to see you take them on, I gotta say! See? These are the times when you really should be making videos!! Best wishes on your flight home tomorrow and make sure you keep us all updated as to Dodie's progress ❤️
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingI would not quote Windows as an example of efficient working software but remember that the 22yo programmer was almost certainly briefed by a committee of 50yo gummint employees aka "civil servants" (which is an oxymoron anyway).
We have just been released here in Victoria Oz from having to show our double vax certificates to gain entry to most venues. The programme certificate is issued by the Feds so we need to create a Mygov account.
But you cannot download your cert yet because you have to create a Medicare account which you then link to your Mygov.
Then you can download your vax cert which you then link to the Vic Gov app which you use to scan the QR code for track and trace then you show your vax cert to the bouncer at the pub before you can gain entry.
The good news is that all these restrictions were lifted the other day as the State is now 93% double vaxxed but don't hold you breath with the Omicron variant moving rapidly through the place!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Michel FleuranceA variant cannot move faster than a computer program update.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago