Day 15: Uman to Celestun - Grampies' Poc Chuc Pursuit Winter 2021 - CycleBlaze

December 9, 2021

Day 15: Uman to Celestun

The Posada that we found for last night did the trick, and allowed us to be ready for the run to Celestun. The only thing, Dodie came down with the same diarrhea I had. But quick application of Immodium had her mostly ready to go.  We went at 5 a.m. , so as to almost be there before the full pôwer of the sun bit the road. As a special luxury, instead of filtering the typically warm tap water, we stopped at OXXO and loaded up on ice cold water. We can keep much of this cold because many of our water bottles are double walled.  We put some peach juice into the water. This would be our only nutrition outside of a few mini bananas. Right now neither of us is up to actually eating anything.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The road to Celestun is basically a straight shot, and has only the village of Kinchil, at the beginning of it. We didn't encounter much of note as we made the run. Well, there was another small motorized religious parade. These are obviously some sort of local tradition, and are accompanied by a lot of honking, flashing lights, and sirens.

Motorized religious pilgrims join the Grampies on the road to Celestun
Heart 3 Comment 0
We usually find these animal cautions are empty promises.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And there was a giant nest of a type we had seen before, this one very near the ground. I walked up to it, but it was totally sealed and no residents of any type were to be seen.

Nobody home?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltPoke a hole in it. Residents will make themselves seen. Ants will scramble looking for the intruder. A few termites could come out, but they don't like daylight.

If there are covered tunnels running down to the ground, it is termites. If no covered tunnels, it is ants.

https://www.anywhere.com/flora-fauna/invertebrates/arboreal-termites
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltNo tunnels. I thought of poking it, but decided this would be rude, since I am just a visitor here.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Dodie did well for the first half of the run, but then began to weaken considerably. Finally she was just going on guts. If her pattern follows mine, she will need some hours in a cool dark room and a good night's sleep.

The famous bridge at Celestun
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first water birds
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThat Bill is so slow. He misses out again! Likely these are laughing gulls in their winter plumage, the most common gull species in the Yucatan.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonThey look quite serious at this moment. Too chilly for them?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Our first flamingoes - not very pink looking - probably very young ones - need to eat more shrimp.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Celestun, sort of downtown
Heart 2 Comment 0
Celestun at the water
Heart 3 Comment 0
A classic beach scene - the view from our hotel
Heart 9 Comment 0
Later we will organize a boat tour
Heart 1 Comment 0

We came to the bridge, often mentioned as one place to get a flamingo boat tour, and well, just over the bridge we spotted our first distant flamingos. 

The town of Celestun looks much like an  other Yucatan small, town, but the street by the beach does have a more festive aire. 

Since we had arrived so early, our room was  not yet ready, depriving Dodie of those needed cool dark two hours. We put her on a deck chair in the shade, which could have a similar effect.

There were pelicans in the water off our beach, and I went to get a shot of them. But the sun was so intense, I could not see my camera screen at all. One way or another, I am sure there will be lots of birds that I can photograph soon.

Dodie finally got her time in the cool and dark, while I went off and began  to scope out a boat tour for tomorrow. After, she had just enough get up and go for a quick tour of downtown, which has a small church and square. Neither of us is up for any real food, so we stopped by OXXO and stocked up on rice pudding. Pathetic!

We also dropped in to a small stand that had some fruits, including our favourite miniature bananas. This definitely is a fruit lover's paradise.

Our favourites
Heart 5 Comment 1
Sue PriceOurs too!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
That's a lot of guacamole!
Heart 1 Comment 0
These ones are past their prime.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In  the evening we found the beach to be at just the right temperature and a lot of fun to be at. Sunset at the ocean is always great to look at.

The Grampies have reached the Gulf of Mexico
Heart 11 Comment 1
Sue PriceBeautiful!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Hotel San Julio from the water side.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 11 Comment 2
Scott AndersonReally? Unreal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonDo you know the concept of the multiverse, from physics? If you look at the two photos above, either somebody has been monkeying the camera settings or there are up to two unrealities at play!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Children walking the beach
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 678 km (421 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonSorry to hear you both got sick. I hope you are both better soon!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi,
Very sorry to hear about the tummy troubles. And thank goodness for Imodium. I remember the days before it was on the market. Not how I would want anybody to spend time on their travels. I hope you both have speedy recoveries and can return to Poc Chuc hunting!
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sue PriceHope you are both recovered enough to enjoy a wonderful flamingo tour!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago