Day 11: Chichen Itza to Izamal - Grampies' Poc Chuc Pursuit Winter 2021 - CycleBlaze

December 5, 2021

Day 11: Chichen Itza to Izamal

We made it to Isamal, after 80 very hot kilometers, and requiring 4 litres of water each. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

At least here we have a bit of internet, so let's pick up with some of the photos missed yesterday.

The biggest thrill was the Ik Kil cenote, which is very deep and is what spawned the subtitle "Grampies Go in the Hole". 

In all these shots, the depth of the hole is quite a bit more than it looks.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Taken to the hospital is more like it
Heart 3 Comment 0
The steps go down, down
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dodie liked it a lot. The l;ife jackets are mandatory.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This was the only type of fish we spotted in the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back to Poc Chuc and Pollo Pibil research for a second. Basically every Poc Chuc we tried had all the essential elements: the marinated grilled meat, salad, salsa, avocado, refried beans, tortillas, toasted tortillas, pickled onions. The differences come in the quantities, flavour, and presentation. We are definitely in Poc Chuc and pibil (long roasted) territory here, so we'll carry on the research!

Note that in this idealized painting, the beans and salsa are in separate dishes. We don't favour that! The beans should be thick enough to be on the plate, and the salsa should be chunky, not ketchup! Also, I don't see any avocado in here! Tough customer! (But the free toilets could be something. Check the graphics for that!)
Heart 2 Comment 0

So here were last night's specimens:

Analysis, anyone?
Heart 3 Comment 1

Switching to today - We set off in the pitch dark, at about 5:45, with lights and flashers. The idea was to ride as much in the cool as possible. As happens in the tropics, dawn came at 6:00 and by 6:15 it was fully light. We stopped at OXXO in Piste, and Dodie found some microwave breakfast burritos. Like in Crocodile Dundee, they were poor quality but enough to keep us going. Dodie also found a bunch of other stuff for snacks. In Mexico, the Ministry of Health helps out the cyclist by indicating which  snacks have  the most get up and go value.

These peanuts are good for cycling, says the Ministry, because they have excess calories, fat, and sodium. Vamenos!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Out through town, things were calm, with no traffic worries. Part way, Dodie's handlebar bag did go flying. We had to adjust the brake and shifter levers to make sure it was sitting securely in its mount. That cost us some of our early morning coolness time.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Soon we crossed the toll road to Merida. Not only are we not going on this, but Dodie found an extra quiet back way to Isamal.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The extra quiet road looked like this, and I started saying maybe this is the best ever cycle in Yucatan. Dodie judiciously labelled it "one of the best".

A big feature was the shade afforded the narrow road by the jungle. Unfortunately, by 11 the jungle was replaced by ranch land, and the sun rose high in the sky.
Heart 4 Comment 0

While it was still quite early morning, we had luck spotting some birds, and also some flora:

Ok,ok, thios guy was at our table last night!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonI’ve never seen one of these that I remember, but it looks like a melodious blackbird. Great name!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltAfter spending almost an hour grinding through the internet, I think Scott may have it!

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/10001-Dives-dives/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A whole tree of these
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWhite winged doves. Sorry, Bill. You snooze, you lose!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonThat's what I get for going to the church Christmas program...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltProbably a species of oriole. Lighting is tough. There are about 16 species of them down there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_oriole
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were very many of these nests now, all along the way
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be crested oropendola nest?

https://ebird.org/species/creoro1
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltI’m not sure. I’m thinking cacique.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonI thought so too... till I saw the distribution map.

http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/yellow-winged-cacique-cassiculus-melanicterus/distribution
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Vultures again practicing their special poses
Heart 2 Comment 0
This tree with the big seed pods differs from the one with similar but small pods.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Big pods!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Sandy EarleLooks like tamarindo. Agua de tamarindo is very good.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
We thought these could be Pomellos? Mangos?
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe some kind of calabash tree?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescentia_alata
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Douglas LotenI think I’ve seen these at Hacienda Yaxcopoil… I’ll check
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Douglas LotenTo Douglas LotenJust checked… the fruit is called Jicara and yes, it’s from a Calabash tree. The locals use the hard casing of the fruit as bowls.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonEither a Tropical or Couch’s kingbird. Apparently the only reliable way to distinguish them is by voice. Did you make a recording by any chance?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonNo recording unfortunately. It is hard enough to spot the birds coyly perched in the trees.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltOriole. Possibly orange oriole.

https://ebird.org/species/oraori1
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

When I first saw the tree with these fluffy pods, I was looking at immatures ones, that were green and pear shaped. Dodie pegged that as flowers that would open, but this is what it seems to be.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonKapok or Ceiba, a sacred tree to the Mayas who know it as Yaaxche: http://www.yucatanadventure.com.mx/Kapok-ceiba-tree.htm. Many uses are listed, but artificial beards don’t appear to be one of them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I figured this would make a good Santa Claus beard. Dodie was not so amused, as she had to spend time picking the fluff off me to prevent it contaminating the camera lens.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Here is a shot of a small version of that tree with the big pods.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be leadtree.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47447-Leucaena-leucocephala
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

About now, as the heat ramped up, we were really starting to tire. Our response was to lay on more speed, so that the ordeal would be over sooner. There could be a flaw in that reasoning somewhere?

Well we did roll into Isamal, sighting the twin towers of the huge Convento of San Antonio de Padua, which stands by the central square and around the corner from our hotel, the San Miguel Arcangel.  Our room was beautifully decorated, with a colonial feel, and tons of room for the bikes.

The hotel is very attractive
Heart 5 Comment 1
Douglas LotenWe typically stop here for a beverage when we visit from Uaymitun!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And it's Christmas by our room
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fish in the central garden pool
Heart 2 Comment 0

After a quick shower we went out for a look at the town. It is definitely dominated by the Convento,  which boasts an atrium area second in size only to St. Peters in Rome.

The yellow city
Heart 3 Comment 0
The inner courtyard
Heart 3 Comment 0
A procession to mass was about to begin
Heart 2 Comment 0
I instantly fell in love with this sloe eyed beauty. (The one in the foreground, eh!)
Heart 3 Comment 0

In the square, the population was out to have a good time, with music and lots of snacks. This was our chance to try a Marquesita, which is a sort of crispy crepe, filled with Edam-like cheese and Nutella. It was a real treat!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy customer. At 25 pesos each, we both got one.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Douglas LotenMy fav is a “marquesita con Nutella”
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Douglas LotenThese seem to be an Izamal specialty? Are they found elsewhere?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
People were laughing and dancing
Heart 0 Comment 0
But this kid was not so happy about his pony ride
Heart 1 Comment 0
We returned to the Mass, and they did have a fair number of devotees.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Here is our walk around town.

Tomorrow, Merida!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 466 km (289 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Douglas LotenOur other favourite activities in Izamal after a tour of the convent are a climb up the pyramid, a carriage ride around the town and lunch at Kinich!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe missed Kinich! It has that huge open dining area - looks good.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago