Day 17 - Stolburg to Brauweiler - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2018

Day 17 - Stolburg to Brauweiler

The relaxation of a Sunday

A beautiful, relaxed Sunday cycle. We are grateful for days when there are few cars on the roads. Especially when a portion of our track includes roads with narrow shoulders.

A few hills to climb but also some hills to sail down. Unfortunately, we did have to deal with a head wind for a good part of the day but the day seemed so relaxed that we didn't mind too much.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The temperature today went to 30 C which is not too bad but our chances to ride in the shade were appreciated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The picture does not do the vista justice. We had just cycled along a lovely path in the woods when we took a left turn and happened upon a beautiful pastoral scene.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A better shot of the view but still no as gorgeous as it was being there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this sign in the woods and did not know what it is for. Apparently, it is the sign for The German Alpine Club (German: Deutscher Alpenverein, DAV) is the world's largest climbing association. It was established in 1869 and cares for trails and huts for mountain climbers and hikers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yikes! We had to deal with our first Umleitung. We just pushed through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite a bit of the trail today ran beside roads. In the morning it was fine with little traffic. The traffic did pick up some in the afternoon but the drivers were very respectful when we did have to cycle on the roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I thought this was a great study in old (middle), not as old (right side), and new (left side). The building practices are very different from Canada. I think it is smart how buildings on the same property take advantage of sharing walls. Must save on construction and heating costs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical town of the day. This one was nice and flat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This large mural of a wine cellar was on a house not a business.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved the use of the old bike to hold flower baskets. I suggested we use Marvin's hard-tail for this but he took exception with the suggestion.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The window was beautifully carved and really made the house standout.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As grandparents we feel it is our duty to note playgrounds when ever we can.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved how they used the pump as part of the flower feature.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moo. Pretty cows.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Young life is beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several shrines we cycled by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the cycle signs for Germany Knopenpunkt system. I would really like to get some maps of that system. Ride with GPS does an okay job but I wonder if we are missing some of the prettier trails.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is where they expected us to cross the road. Not great.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice path, strong head wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For part of our ride the trail ran parallel to the autobahn. The trail was good but the NOISE!!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These pretty flowers were on thistle like plants. It is hard to see but there is a bee on the left flower. We have seen a lot of bees enjoying the wildflower nectar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoy seeing the impressive churches in each little town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Apple tree. We noticed that along the autobahn they have signs indicating the type of tree they have lining the roads and the year they were planted. It seems like quite a few were fruit trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Does anyone know what this is? There was a whole field of this plant with mature seed pods. The seeds were small black. Marvin thought it may be some type of legume.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our accomodation for the evening. The Hotel Schugt in Brauweiler. Older but very clean and comfy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The age of the building is emphasized by the tiny, after thought of a water closet. Again, very clean with all we need.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just down from our hotel was an Eis Cafe. The route we cycled had little for areas to stop and, as it is Sunday, the towns we did go through had little open. We, of course, were pretty quick to check in, unload and cycle back to the Eis Cafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Decisions in an Eis Cafe can be difficult but we were both satisfied with our selections.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Betty Forsythperfect fair after your cycling!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Brauweiler is known for its abbey founded in 1024 by the Benedictines. It was secularized under Napoleon in 1803 and used as a hostel for the poor. In 1817, under the Prussians, it was converted to a workhouse. From 1933 to 1945 the buildings were used for the internment, torture, and murder of political and social "undesirables" by the Gestapo and the civil authorities of the Nazi government. Prisoners included Konrad Adenauer, the former mayor of Cologne and first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. From 1945 to 1949, it was an open camp for displaced persons administered first by the British Army and then by UNRRA (United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration). The abbey buildings are now used by the Rheinisches Amt für Denkmalpflege ("Rhenish Department for the Care of Historic Monuments"). The following pictures are of the abbey and it grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The present abbey church, now the parish church of Saint Nicholas and Saint Medardus, was built between 1136 and 1220 or later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This reminded me of the court yard at Hogwarts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The door from the abbey enclosure to the surrounding park. The door would let you out but to get back into the gardens you had to reenter at the front of the abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the external court yard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the back of the chapel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An enclosed statue at the exterior back of the chapel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These tomb stones were from the 1800s. No explanation as to why there were placed right next to the chapel walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Behind the abbey is a lovely park that was being enjoyed by many people including us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the statues in the entrance way to the chapel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entrance to the chapel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This section provides a look at how the chapel was originally shaped the a bit of a view of one of the frescoes that would have decorated the building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ceiling was ornately painted and lovely in shape. Ceilings like this really do draw you eye upwards; which was their intent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pulpit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The chior stall. Marvin thought it looked like something from Slytherine house but they were not all carved snakes. Many other animals were also represented.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very ornate door decorated with iron work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The confessional was beautifully carved wood. Unfortunately, it was a bit too dark for the photo to turn out well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Being a lover of music, Marvin is always interested in the ornate and beautiful organs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wish we could have heard someone play it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bench of the day - a well deserved rest in the shade in the park behind the abbey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
All in all, a lovely day. A nice cycle, good company and beautiful things to see.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 711 km (442 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Betty Forsythso enjoy your pictures and blogging. Looks like quite the explore. Be safe and have fun.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago