Day 16 - Hasselt to Stolburg via Maastricht and Aachen - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2018

Day 16 - Hasselt to Stolburg via Maastricht and Aachen

We cross the Siegfried Line

We have decided that is seems easier to upload pictures and then attach captions to talk about our day so here we go.

Map for today:. 

I thought there were no hills in the Netherlands. Boy, was I wrong!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This unusual building was across from the hostel we stayed at in Hesselt. It was quite unusual and seemed to be full of offices and apartments.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready to hit the road with this handsome fellow!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was quite a striking Art Nouveau building but, unfortunately, it is hard to see all the detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding through Hesselt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many churches in the area. Quite old and beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The building on the left is a chapel dedicated to Johannes Ludovicus Paquay, known as Valentinus. It was quite beautiful inside with some impressive stained glass windows. At there were several people inside praying, we opted not to take any pictures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The street directly across from the church pictured above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the main part of the church. The supplicants were in the chapel on the left which contains the remains of Valentinus. He died in 1905 and was beautified in 2000; part of the process of being canonized.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This shrine is on the corner across from the church. It is not unusual to see this type of icon placed on houses in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At first glance it seems like plaster has come off of the brick. However, it is not plaster but layers of paint from over the years. If you look closely at the exposed brick you can see some of the colors that the wall has been painted.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The plaque on the outside of the chapel holing the remains of Johannes_Ludovicus_Paquay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This impressive building is now an school of art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of the statue on the above building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the door knob to the above building. I really liked it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main square and city hall in Hesselt. The crowd were waiting for a wedding couple to emerge. In most of Europe a couple must first be married civilly prior to marrying in a church so this was most likely the first step in a day of celebration and excitement.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Town square in Hesselt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is one of the first exposed beam building we have seen. Very old and in surprisingly good condition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Liked this statue. Marvin was not sure who was photo-bombing whom!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just across from the old exposed beam building was this other end of the spectrum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a nice surprise to come around the corner and find this gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the main cathedral of Hesselt. We both took time to go inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the baptismal font. Solid copper. The lid is removed with an pulley system.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The picture doesn't do justice to this beautiful wood carving. The figures are life size and beautifully carved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The confessional is another example of amazing wood carving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church was adorned with many large and impressive oil paintings depicting the life of Christ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pulpit; also beautiful carving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marvin loves the organs that live in most of the churches here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hesselt had many beautiful old buildings but it is not a city I had ever heard of before. This demonstrated one of the many positives of cycle touring; we get to see so many things that are not in any tourist brochure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rather interesting bike/rickshaw.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a large market going on. Most of the vendors seemed to be selling antiques and just plain old junk. We would have liked to see fresh produce and other interesting local specialties.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This vendor only had a couple of items. One of which was this table with some lovely in-laid wood designs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
getting out of Hesselt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were so pleased to be away from traffic and back on a nice path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the way to Maastricht.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen so many beautiful horse. It seems there are more horses here than we see at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical path for the day. Actually, up until we found the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This play ground was amazing! I couldn't help but think how much fun my grandchildren would have here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marvin took this picture to show how homes are constructed here. In Canada the frame is usually wood. Here they build with cinder blocks and then add the facing. The internal walls are plaster.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another cute mailbox.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While we hear and see a lot of bird here, we seldom see any wildlife so we were quite happy to see the dear.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Betty Forsythsuch a dear deer
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don't know what was planted here but each plant was in its own pot that was neatly organized in lines with set spaces between each pot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every town has an impressive church at its center.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hills have started!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A whole gaggle of cyclists flying by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A large canal between Hesselt and Maastrich.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tiny chapel just below the main church in Gellik
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Why would you not adjust the cycle path to go around the build rather that putting it in place and know it is not wide enough for a bike???!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
into Masstrech we go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many very picturesque streets. However, cobbled roads look a lot nicer than they feel when cycling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first time Marvin was in Europe my brother brought us to this fries joint in Maastrich. He claimed it was the best. Marvin agreed. As a result, we have come here each time we have been in Maastrecht. Marvin loves the fries with horse meet and gravy and this is the only place we are aware of that you can get it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While Marvin lined up for fries, I tended the bikes and people watched in the town square. The large building is the town hall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Marvin has his fries with horse meet and gravy. The fellow in the shop assured Marvin he would now have additional horse power for cycling.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Betty Forsythi wondered if the detox sign in the background had anything to do with the food you are holding ;0
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Saturday market in Maastricht
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maastricht town hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The trail to Aachen from Maastricht was mainly next to roads but usually did have good cycle paths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enroute to Aachen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful vistas of ripening wheat and rolling hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lovely farm caught our attention with is walled court yard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An impressive home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The clouds tricked me into thinking this bench was in the shade. The only part in the shade is where Marvin is. We stopped her for a rest from hills and a bite of lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An anti-tank obstacle from WW2. I had seen pictures before but had not realized how large they are.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The walls were also build to stop tanks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it to beautiful Aachen. Time for an Eis!
Heart 0 Comment 0
As yummy as they are pretty!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aachen town hall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Charlemagne - during his coronation he took the crown from the Pope and placed it on his own head. He did it to indicate that the church and state should be separate from each other. Very radical for the time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A town gate and yet another wedding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There has not been a Woolworth's in Canada for decades so I was a bit surprised to see one here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lovely fountain in Stolberg, the town we are staying in tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room!!! Nice and clean with lovely fresh linens. After doing lots of hills with headwinds today we are looking forward to making sure those beds work!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A window we can open! Yeah! Fresh air tonight!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 653 km (406 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0