Day 47: Troy to Brattleboro - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2023

Day 47: Troy to Brattleboro

Heart 0 Comment 0
Route profile
Heart 0 Comment 0

A fair bit of trepidation about today as 5000 ft of climbing was in the offing, more than we’ve done since NM and it’s been a few days since the rest day.

It turned out to be a great day, with the climbs and descents adding more interest than if late. After cycling over some very dodgy roads in Troy we turned right, away from the Hudson and up a beautiful windy 1000 ft ascent through forests and past farms and homesteads. We bounced along a plateau until another 300 ft rise led us to a fast drop off. Another lump and we were at the first SAG in Bennington, a beautiful town with huge and grand buildings. We’d passed into Vermont and the Green Mountain National Park.

Had a pizza slice that left me sluggish for the main event, the 1700 ft climb up Prospect Mountain. We rose winding up between densely wooded hillsides that felt like an upscale version of the Wye valley. The road was smooth, going up in steps of up to 8%. A fast drop down to the next SAG before we went up again - 600ft this time.  We crested the distinct peak of this last climb and fell on to a super-fast (46mph) mile descent. Two nasty little ramps came as a shock, but at this stage I was thinking I’d cruise to the hotel. Instead there was a five miles stretch where the road had been abraded for resurfacing. It was brutal, with many riders slowing to cope. I ploughed on as best I could.

Checked in to the hotel, then ended up in Subway for a sandwich.

Very good DIY tacos in the hotel tonight.

Had a sore throat all day so may have a cold. Might explain sluggishness on the climbs.  A great day none-the-less.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 miles (129 km)
Total: 3,370 miles (5,423 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve ParkerGreat views today.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Hugh MonroAnother achievement, another day and more importantly another mile closer to achieving your goal. Well done. I hope your sore throat isn’t going to become a full blown cold. Are you eating enough protein? Only asking, not related to your sore throat.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Peter RobinsonTo Hugh MonroThanks Hugh, Throat still sore but there’s life in the old dog …

Just 17 miles in the morning, then it’s all done!

Eating has been a problem as US food is not what I’m used to. Too much fat and not enough fresh fruit and veg.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Peter RobinsonTo Steve ParkerMost of the photos are from others in the group. I’m too impatient to stop to take pics.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago