Day 46: Utica to Troy - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2023

Day 46: Utica to Troy

Heart 0 Comment 0

A day of two halves, but not in the way you’d expect.

The first half involved cycling nigh on 102 miles into a headwind. The first 78 miles were along the hard shoulder of a busy dual carriageway.  Someone asked if I’d enjoyed the view. The answer I did not give was to say that I’d been concentrating on avoiding the cr@p on the road to even look at the view.

But let’s be fair. We cycled for 78 miles on the NW banks of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers and the Erie Canal.  Most of the time there was dense woodland to our left and fields down to the water on our right.  There were often trees there too, and a railway line. The road rose gently for a few feet from time to time, meaning the route was predominantly flat. It was warm and sunny. Sadly, we were travelling SSW into a wind from the EsE, which was not a heavenly marriage. The wind was funnelled into our faces by the valley.

First SAG was down a side turning, over a bridge and next to a cycleway that ran along the other side of the river. Second SAG was in a lay-by at the top of one of the little rises, which lent nice views of the river.

At 78 miles I stopped in a proper corner cafe in Schenectady and had a delicious sandwich of freshly griddled vegetables and mozzarella.

After that we joined the Empire State Cycleway that took us to within 2 miles of our hotel. The cycleway was beautifully maintained, often through woodland and was not too busy.

In Troy we crossed the Hudson to our downtown hotel.

The other half involves reflections on people rather than the terrain. From this perspective, Utica to Troy sounds less Homer and more Tom of Finland.

I was thinking about the extent to which riding in a chain is analogous to other social enterprises. A group of different individuals comes together for synergy. It works best if everyone has common purpose and is prepared to pull their weight. There needs to be clear communication as the individuals within the group need to respond to circumstances similarly. Preparation is an advantage as it helps if riders understand the dynamics of the chain. Some of the prep can be formal study, but there’s a lot to be gained from informal learning via social engagement. Group dynamics also play a part, especially if someone disrupts the group and there’ll even be recriminations for people who transgress.

We continue to forge ahead. We get on well whilst recognising the differences between us. There are no plonkers, although some of us could develop our group riding skills!

Lovely evening last night. Todd, Barbara, Stephanie and I had a post ride drink in the Troy Beer Garden. Then Barbara and I ate our best meal for weeks in The Sea Smoke Grill.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Hugh MonroOh the food looks delicious, even better when washed down with a refreshing beer.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Today's ride: 102 miles (164 km)
Total: 3,290 miles (5,295 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve ParkerYou'll have to explain the second part of your journey to me at some point in time!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago