Day 39: Wooster to Niles - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2023

Day 39: Wooster to Niles

Heart 0 Comment 0

The forecast was for rain in Niles, starting at 2pm. In order to try to avoid that I decided to be businesslike on the ride, stopping only briefly and making as decent progress as possible without going mad, especially given the tiredness after five weeks on the road.

Another nippy start, but soon onto narrow, smooth country roads skirting individual fields, with light traffic. We only headed northwards or eastwards today.  The forecast SE wind turned out to be more southerly. I didn’t think it was that strong until I turned into it.

Lumpy sections at the beginning slowed things down a little, but I eventually got some miles.

The agriculture was more mixed. There were cattle farms, crops and even a vineyard.

More decorated houses. Not sure if they’re like this all the time or whether the bunting and flags are left over from Memorial Day.

There have been loads of churches for the past week or so. Unlike the Uk they’re all very new and well-tended.  Although the usually have a small spire or peak they are often lower and flatter, but they’re huge and built for large capacity.  The cemeteries in the country are odd as they often occupy part of a field, with no fence demarcating them from the crops. It’s the same at the front as there are often only a couple of posts indicating the entrance. The graves are well tended though, and many of them sport little flags.

Stopped to use the facilities at a gas station, where they were selling fresh rolls. Stuffed one into my pocket for later on.

Turned down a side road for a discrete pee and disturbed a little deer. She didn’t run off till I got within 10 yards and spoke to her.

First SAG was next to a cemetery, which boded problems in terms of not desecrating graves in the name of comfort. Fortunately, a gent from the adjacent church opened up his facilities for us. We were very grateful.

From there we joined a busier road with signs for lots of lakes. There were boats in driveways and being towed and shops selling bait. You could smell water on the air. At one point we crossed on a causeway over a very large expanse.

Having been on the same road for a good while there was a sudden turn to the north onto a bike path. The path glassy smooth for the most part and took us the last 12 miles into Niles. It was mostly lined with shrubs and trees, occasionally opening out onto small industrial areas or passing over ponds covered in lilies. One section was slightly bumpy, and we were held up with plenty of road crossings but it was a nice route, especially as the last three miles to the hotel were bumpy over roads with poor surfaces.

Pleased to arrive at 2.10, just as it started to spit. There were beers waiting for us at the hotel, then Stephanie, the Marks and I went next door for chocolate milk and eggs Benedict.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Peter RobinsonI’ve no idea what that means! Neither does Google.
❤️
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 miles (150 km)
Total: 2,783 miles (4,479 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Hugh MonroHaving played catch up on your progress to date with my morning coffee I see a distinct pattern emerging with town suburbs quickly becoming agricultural fields, towns with deprived areas, towns with lovely houses and well manicured lawns. I imagine things will soon change as your journey nears the end.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago