Day 38: Marysville to Wooster - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2023

Day 38: Marysville to Wooster

Heart 0 Comment 0

This was a lovely day on small roads with everyone feeling part of the countryside.

Wind was from the north west, anticipated to become more westerly as the day wore on. As the second of two century days we were wondering about the extra climbing on the route profile.

Very chilly start (8C!) needing arm warmers and a rain jacket.  Left town on a four lane highway then soon turned north onto a narrow road, into a strong head wind. Could only make 11-12mph against it, leaving me worrying about the day to come, but fortunately we turned east after a couple of miles. The morning carried on like that, getting held back and then given a shove. We were helped by protection from the trees, which became more numerous and more dense with the miles. By mid-ride we were passing between large wooded areas.

It was an interesting journey winding around fields and rolling over gentle hills. What looked like the biggest challenge of the day, a 400ft climb, turned out to be spread over so many miles that it became a false flat that we cruised up. We were now on the route of the original Lincoln Highway.

Still very rural and agricultural. Increasing amounts of wheat amongst the corn and some animals, including ranches. Rather than the widely spread out mega farms it seemed like there was a small holding every couple of hundred yards or so.

Loads of US flags on the buildings and in the gardens, plenty of Trump flags and some confederate. Nice to see some pride flags too.

As it was a long day I’d checked the route for somewhere to eat. I lured Ron and Mark B to the Wiffletree Restaurant, which was busy with locals and served us hearty food.

After that we made our way on the remaining part of the route. Because we’d eaten, the final SAG had closed. We snacked up and had a very pleasant ride, chatting all the way into Wooster, passing Linda as we went. As she remarked, we were probably boosted by our proper food. Rolling bumps, including a couple of short, steep digs (12-14%) only added to the fun. We got in at about 4pm, just in time to clean up for dinner (brought in grilled chicken and rice)

Wooster seemed more prosperous and less boarded-up than other towns we’d visited. Again it gave the impression of being a commuter town.

Whilst we were eating Barbara messaged us from a local bar and steakhouse. Went to meet her where I had a great steamed (butter) pudding, a beer and wine. The metropolitan-feeling venue, along with lovely staff and friendly locals capped off a fantastic day.

Alpaca
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Wooster
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Corn beef hash at the Wiffletree Restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 102 miles (164 km)
Total: 2,690 miles (4,329 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve ParkerWell done on completion of a couple of centuries- a big ask of the old body that!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Peter RobinsonBy now it’s 390 miles in four days. Blimey.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago