Day 37: Richmond to Marysville - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2023

Day 37: Richmond to Marysville

Heart 0 Comment 0

Dry morning. Wet afternoon.

The forecast was for rain later so several of us set off just after the seven o’clock club to keep dry for as long as possible.

Crossed into Ohio just after we left town. 

From the outset this was a very pleasant ride. We’d spent much of the last few days (the whole ride really) on larger roads (dual carriageways + hard shoulder). Even when they’re quiet, as yesterday’s had been, that’s an awful lot of tarmac to look at. It hides the environment too. So, riding on narrow country roads that didn’t look as though they’d been bulldozed from A to B was a real treat. The roads took little curves around streams, copses and fields too.  All of this was helped by very light Sunday traffic, which hit even quieter by the time everyone was in church.  Several of us noticed that all the cars outside the German church were neatly aligned and facing in the same direction. Amish people waved good morning to us from their carriages.

There were country smells too of new mown grass, sous bois and the like.

Got a much stronger sense of rural and small town America. Many of the buildings painted a very pale dove grey, immaculate front lawns, and hangings off lamp posts commemorating their fallen. Several wacky welcome signs too.

Pootled along nicely, passing the seven o’clock club and stopped at a gas station for a Starbucks.

The first SAG, in a parking lot in Covington, was hosted by cycling buddies of Greg’s who’d laid on a noisy welcome of bells, rock music and cheers, and had set up a gazebo and stall with cakes.  Several wanted to talk about their visits to the UK, often in the military. Lovely people. US shaped short bread, a donut and a buck eye cake (sort of nut praline, and the sweetest thing imaginable) later, we were on our way again.

The rain started at 60 miles and never stopped. A quick SAG behind a Taco Bell at 80 miles chilled us but replenished energy until I got to historic uptown Marysville with Stephanie. It was a surprisingly large place, and much better heeled than many other towns we’d visited, with functioning shops and fairy lights in the street. May be a commuter town for Columbus.

We found a local bar/diner where the owner was very welcoming, and were joined by Barbara a few minutes later. Fried cheese curds and fantastic roast cod tacos (with lime, chilli and coriander) tided us over the last two miles and until dinner.

Biblical rain for those two miles though! Water a disgusting colour as I washed my gear.

A very pleasant day despite 105 miles, the last 45 in the rain.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve ParkerAnd at least one more OF as you cycled through!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Peter RobinsonTo Steve ParkerNo, I was on my own at that point Steve
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 106 miles (171 km)
Total: 2,588 miles (4,165 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0