Day 36: Greenfield to Richmond - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2023

Day 36: Greenfield to Richmond

Heart 0 Comment 0

Only a fifty mile ride today so all starts we’re put back two hours

Chain was well and truly dropped in the hotel car park. Fred, Dana and I struggled with it, meaning everyone was five minutes up the road before I set off.

Given the short ride I had the choice of going for it, and getting there by lunchtime, or sitting up and getting there by lunchtime. I decided to enjoy the view. Tailwind and flat road helped. Lots of big green fields and we’ll-kept farm buildings.

Got to the SAG (35 miles) in two hours. Met Barbara just before town and agreed to go to lunch.

Downtown Richmond was the most depressing place, with the majority of  shops boarded up, presumably because most commerce now taking place in the malls out of town.

One area had been rejuvenated a little, near the rail depot. With bars, restaurants and music venues. We checked a couple of places and ended up outside a small independent cafe. Nice and tasty (Greek themed!) pizza and salad, then a mad affogato at an ice cream shop over the road.

Rode out to the hotel (past Glen Miller Park - not that one) through a residential district with fantastic old houses (towers and the like) that had fallen on hard times. Arrived at a dreary Best Western in a scrubby lot.  Risked life crossing a big road to get to Cracker Barrel for supper. Fire alarm woke us all at 4.20 as the kitchen staff burned the eggs.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 2,482 miles (3,994 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0