Day 31: Quincy to Springfield - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2023

Day 31: Quincy to Springfield

Heart 0 Comment 0

A long day. Weather was cooler and less humid than yesterday.  A fresh 16C, rising to 28C later. Gentle NE wind helped that, but was in our faces for much of the ride.

My focus today was to complete the ride without bonking. That was eased by waking hungry and I was able to eat a big breakfast. I’d planned to go with the 7 o’clock club so that I’d have time to stop for a proper lunch. Unfortunately, breakfast was waitress service, which took a long time, so start times were fluid. I left at 7.20.

Steady ride to first SAG (32 miles). Forced myself to drink a lot and had an energy bar half way. More water, a Danish, grapes and Oreos at the SAG then pressed on anticipating a cafe at Meredosia on the E bank of the Illinois River. There were just 2 gas stations so I had a sandwich and a double shot mocha in the car park.

Next SAG was in a park in Jacksonville. Doug paced me nicely for 8 miles (Thank you!). Stuffed down Ritz with peanut butter, cheese string and fruit in syrup.

Thirty-eight miles to go. Rode with Chad and Spencer to New Berlin (big turn from Chad who still felt invincible from his monster pancake breakfast). Nowhere to get a snack, but I had a very enjoyable ride in with Doug and Christine (C showing an unexpected turn of pace!). Forced down another energy bar (bar in one hand, bottle in the other, to wash it down) at 17 miles to go and had enough vim to make a little effort for last ten miles. A much better and more enjoyable day.

Not many photos. Everyone was anticipating another grueller and got their heads down. Very gently rolling at first, then nice flat second half. Lots of corn and roadkill throughout. Springfield a little bigger than expected and sort of suburban.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 107 miles (172 km)
Total: 2,180 miles (3,508 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Hugh MonroI recall reading how those riders on the Transcontinental Race eat whatever comes their way, Mars Bars seem universal. I’ve never been a grapes man but you seem to have an endless supply of the buggers.
How’s the new bike doing?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Peter RobinsonThanks Hugh. New bike is very smooth. Maybe not quite as fast at top end, but that’s not a problem.
Not much energy in grapes. At least they’re moist, which helps to get them down, and they’re fresh, which stimulates saliva for something stodgier.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Steve ParkerA long day, yes. Well done you and the rest of the group.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago