Day 32: Springfield to Champaign - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2023

Day 32: Springfield to Champaign

Heart 0 Comment 0

Woke feeling more confident after the bonk-free and consequently enjoyable day before.  Ate all I could, left with the 7 o'clock club and got to the first SAG in good time. I was passed by Simon and Doug on the way to the second SAG, but again arrived feeling fine. As there was still a fair way to go I suggested a stop for lunch in Monticello - a sizeable town 23 miles from Champaign.  First impressions were good as we rode through a suburb that looked as though it would be populated by dentists.  However, the town centre was forlorn and we could only find a Hardee's, which might be what the local teenagers use for protection when they have intercourse.

Sorry Dear Reader to be preoccupied with food. It is a preoccupation for cyclists.

Apart from skirting round Decatur (where a motorist told me I should be on the (non-existent) sidewalk), a place I shall not be moving to, this was a pleasant ride.  Starting earlier means that proportionately more of the ride takes place in cooler temperatures.  There was a gentle crosswind for most of the way, which translated into a tailwind for a good stretch into Monticello and then into Champaign. Many of the roads were good and there were no hills to speak of.

The number of photographs is decreasing. In part that has been because much of the local countryside is similar to the preceding few days. Still pretty though, with acre after acre of cornfields. 

However, we've been talking about how the ride is affecting us. We all seem to be holding up physically, with very few aches and pains considering the distances we're covering.  The common challenge is the psychologically gruelling nature of riding for so many hours day after day. People are talking about it being relentless and unremitting. This may be another reason why all but the most enthusiastic photographers have stopped snapping.

Of course, nobody wanted it to be easy, and nobody is complaining.  It's more that we're noting the effect.  We're all getting on extremely well still and morale is great.

Writing this on the rest day in Champaign (laundry, bike cleaning and coffee), and feeling enthusiastic about the next stage north and east to Lake Erie.

Tom and Alena
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paula and Dana
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Champaign has a large Heinz Kraft food processing plant
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 miles (148 km)
Total: 2,272 miles (3,656 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Hugh MonroPeter, I do enjoy your daily reports and wonder at which point you tell us your vision has been obscured by the smoke clouds drifting south from Canada, they're really burning up there.
Keep it up and leave out the grapes, they turn my stomach.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago