Day 20: Guymon to Liberal - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2023

Day 20: Guymon to Liberal

Heart 0 Comment 0

The starts were put back an hour to 8 and 8:30 in view of today’s short ride. Towards the end of the first week an early start ‘7 o’clock club’ had been formed for riders who might benefit from extra time. The most important consequence of this is that the 7 o’clockers sing before they set off, whereas our group is too miserable.

It was a bright start. Out of the hotel and onto the road with frequent major potholes. Things looked up when the hard shoulder started: wide and creamy. The sky clouded over after 15 miles, threatening rain.

We were cheered up at the only SAG of the day at the Hooker chamber of commerce. This is small town America. Your favourite granny was selling t-shirts with dodgy puns and drew a kiss on an information sheet for me.

Made a lucky choice not to put on a rain jacket as it stayed dry all the way to Liberal, Kansas. The capital L and comma are important.

First port of call was Dorothy’s house, which didn’t quite hit the mark. However, above the shop was a small local history museum with a room each dedicated to domestic things, a doctor’s office and tribal costumes. The corridor walls were lined with a collection of old local postcards, depicting grain silos and the like. Some were black and white.

Lunch included a huge ice cream sundae. Big revelation at dinner was Doug’s interest in sci-fi and comics. Nice chat with Ron, Lee and Peyton over a beer in the hotel breakfast room.

Oklahoma landscape
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kansas landscape
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dorothy’s house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yellow brick road and commuters
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dorothy
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fabulous old sink
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ice cream and server
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 1,358 miles (2,185 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0