Day 22: Dodge City to Great Bend - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2023

Day 22: Dodge City to Great Bend

Heart 0 Comment 0

Another day in the flat and increasingly green Kansas farming country.  Super smooth hard shoulder and fairly quiet roads.

I rode to the first SAG with Simon, David and Doug. Amazingly, we arrived first, before most of the 7o’clock club, who’d stopped at a roadside store. We’d missed their bikes and ridden by.

Donut and a Starbucks doubleshot at the SAG weren’t enough to fire me up to keep up with the others. Riding on my own the crosswinds became apparent. Strong SSE gusts kept me leaning far to the right, like cycling sideways.   They stopped somewhere so we arrived at the second SAG together.

We agreed to stay together for the rest of the day to take spells in an echelon against the wind.  Next stop was an old Pawnee lookout spot on a ridge about a mile off the route.  It’s been embellished with a small platform about 20ft up, but still provided impressive views.

After that it was 15 miles to the hotel. Joel joined us but the group broke up slightly. We all arrived a minute or so apart, but I was cooked and needed a second breakfast of chocolate milk and eggs Benedict.

Out for Mexican with Spencer and Chad tonight. Will try to avoid the Margaritas.

Views from Pawnee lookout
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 miles (140 km)
Total: 1,529 miles (2,461 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0