Day Three: Bethlehem PA to New Hope PA - Cycling the Poconos: Glen Summit PA to Bull's Island NJ on the Delaware and Lehigh Trail - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2019

Day Three: Bethlehem PA to New Hope PA

The longest ride - 49 miles with beautiful weather

Breakfast in the Tap Room of the Hotel Bethlehem
Heart 0 Comment 0

Breakfast was in the Tap Room in the lobby of the hotel, which had a "Wall of Fame" - pictures of many of the famous people who had stayed at the hotel. I couldn't quite figure out the algorithm for the placement of the pictures: the Dalai Lama was between Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Taylor...

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today would be the big mileage day (49 miles) but it was 100% on trails, mostly on canal towpath trails along the Lehigh River and then the Delaware River.

Bike art and a bike skills park along the path.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There was a lot of paved path between Bethlehem and Easton, where the Delaware River and the Lehigh River converged - and since the water headed towards Delaware, I guess Lehigh lost out in the naming contest...

The next 15 miles or so we rode on a narrow towpath between the Delaware Canal and the Delaware River.  Every mile or so a gaggle of geese would be blocking the path and we tried a variety of strategies to get them to move out of our way, with Carole preferring to bark like a dog, while I made car horn beeping noises, figuring the automobile was probably their biggest predator. We saw a huge snapping turtle, a few heron and many chipmunks along this segment.

Lunch was at the Homestead General Store and Coffee Roasters in Black Eddy right on the path.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Where we sat in the sunshine at a picnic table and Carole made a friend.

Heart 0 Comment 0

From there it was about 19 miles (and about 100 geese) to our destination, the Fox and Hound B&B just outside quaint New Hope PA.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Where Carole made another friend...

He was a bit too big for Carole to take home and add to her collection.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A  nice dinner at The Landing, more ice cream and then back to the hotel - where the Weather Channel was promising nothing but rain for that night and the next day...

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 118 miles (190 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0