Final Thoughts and Lessons Learned - Cycling the Poconos: Glen Summit PA to Bull's Island NJ on the Delaware and Lehigh Trail - CycleBlaze

Final Thoughts and Lessons Learned

There's an old Yiddish saying: "Man Plans, God Laughs." Any bike tour risks the whims of weather and on this one we had two days of phenomenal weather and two days of miserable rain. We had zero mechanical problems with our bikes and really no problems other than getting wet and muddy.

The Delaware and Lehigh Trail is not really complete yet but is easily bikable, especially once the new bridge in Jim Thorpe is completed- though I would wait a few days after any major rains.  If you are a touring cyclist, it definitely lends itself to "credit card" style touring, if you can arrange a shuttle back to wherever you started. Using a company for a supported ride greatly simplified life but did add cost. About the only thing I'd do differently is put fenders on both bikes - multiple days on crushed rock surfaces mean there will be mud even if it isn't raining. 

That area of Pennsylvania is beautiful, with lots of outdoor attraction and lots of history around the rapid rise and fall of both the coal and the steel industry, which were actually tightly coupled. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0