Day Four: New Hope PA to Bull's Island NJ - Cycling the Poconos: Glen Summit PA to Bull's Island NJ on the Delaware and Lehigh Trail - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2019

Day Four: New Hope PA to Bull's Island NJ

Great weather if you are a turtle, frog or that kid PigPen in the Charlie Brown comic strip

We started the final day off with a fine breakfast at the Fox and Hound and a group photo.

You can probably guess who the guides are.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route would be a bit different: we would head 7 miles south on the Delaware and Lehigh Canal towpath to Washington Crossing, where we would cross the river on a bridge and head 14 miles north on the Delaware and Raritan Canal Towpath. There are canals on both sides of the Delaware River along that stretch.

Heart 0 Comment 0

It had rained all night and was pouring when we left - the first 7 miles to Washington Crossing were just a slog. I was covered with mud within the first two or three miles. The rain stopped as we reached Washington Crossing and the Delaware and Raratin Canal Towpath surface was much drier and there were way fewer goose roadblocks on the NJ side. But once you are soaked and muddy, you pretty much stay soaked and muddy.

The sign pretty much says it all.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We reached the northern terminus at Bulls Island NJ and crossed back over the Lumberton PA over a hiker/biker bridge.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After a wardrobe change and a fantastic lunch at the Lumberton General Store Deli and Bakery,  the bikes were loaded back onto the trailer, the bikers were loaded back into the van and Reed and Sierra (the young married -to-each-other guides) drove us back to our cars where we transferred our bikes and luggage back onto the trusty Subaru Outback and made the 3 hour drive back home to Upper Ashton Heights Mews.

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 139 miles (224 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rick TresslerVery nice write ups John! Looks like the bulk of the trip was dry with great places to see and eat! Glad you two had a great trip.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago