Day 3 - Hall’s Gap - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

October 31, 2019

Day 3 - Hall’s Gap

Rest day

Our rest day  (albeit 22,000 steps) started by finding an interesting creature in our bat tub.  We stupidly left the bathroom light on so we could find the toilet in the middle of the night but it attracted large numbers of bugs and 1 bat.  How appropriate for Halloween.  We closed the door until it could be removed.  Today is also laundry day since we have real machines and everything dried in a nano second in the hot wind.

Next we walk down to a a small aboriginal cultural centre that also told the story of how the Grampian mountains were formed millions of years ago.  It is hard to imagine that this area was once ocean front.  One fun thing we did was paint our boomerang and I have to say it is a masterpiece.   In the afternoon we drove to Mackenzie falls since it was too far to walk to look at the falls and the views from a couple of lookouts.  For dinner I had kangaroo 🦘 medallions and beer of course.

Look what we found in the bathroom this morning, a bat. We locked the door and had the proprietor remove it. No rabies in Australia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kangaroos near our cabins having their morning breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A big male roo next to a youngster. They are big.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the Grampians this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A seniors arts and crafts boomerang painting. You use pieces of spear grass to dot on the paint.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Michael watching Helene and me create our works of art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lower one is mine (right handed) and the upper one is my roomie (left handed). The 4 toed green paw is for Murphy.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonVery creative - nicely done!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Our paper guide for our paintings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Eastern Spinebill according my sources.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like an eastern spinebill.

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Acanthorhynchus-tenuirostris
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The aboriginal centre in the foreground of the Grampians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the wild flowers in bloom in the Grampians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kangaroo tail. The tail sprouts in response to fire or drought.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mackenzie falls.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view to the east from up in the Grampians.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Me with another view. That is a man made lake just to the right of my head.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lesson on how to order beer in Australia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went to the Kookaburra restaurant tonight for a feast of kangaroo, yum.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonYikes, I hope it wasn’t one of those guys eating the lawn in the morning.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0