Day 2 - Moonabel to Hall’s Gap - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

October 30, 2019

Day 2 - Moonabel to Hall’s Gap

Given the heat yesterday and a forecast for the same or worse today we all set off about 8:30 for an 88km ride.  It was  reasonably flat with only a few rolling hills and little wind until after lunch so we made good time.  The terrain was much the same as yesterday of pasture land and gum trees.  Lunch was in Stawell (pronounced stall) where I had another Aussie pie and a DC.  After lunch it really got hot with a head wind so 3 of us formed a bit of a slow pace line.  It was a good thing for me because about 8km/5mi from the finish I started to feel pretty bad and I knew it was the heat.  My companions slowed down and dragged my sorry ass to the hotel.  After a cool tub, cold water and a cold beer I felt  much better.  In addition to this issue my shorts kind of blew up on me today.  The padding in the chamois came apart so I had a very uncomfortable day in the saddle riding on a thin layer of Lycra.   I still have 2 pair but I will looking to buy a 3rd where I can.  We have a rest day tomorrow which is a good thing since it supposed to be even hotter and then the hot spell will break.  I will likely wander a bit in the cooler morning but head for the AC in the afternoon.

Three galahs on the fence
Heart 3 Comment 0
Two sulphur crested Cockatoos that make an awful screeching sound.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Four of our group riding a gum tree lined street.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Everything here seems to be a shire. We were in the Pyrenees Shire known for sheep and wine as shown in their logo. They also have some olive oil.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local olive oil.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They still hunt rabbits. I suspect these are hanging there to feed the scavenger birds.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltHorribly invasive European rabbits...

http://www.rabbitfreeaustralia.com.au/rabbits/the-rabbit-problem/
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Yvonne McLeanI've never seen anything like this.....there must be hordes of rabbits for this to happen
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
You know it is windy when there is wind farm. This morning they were not turning. Note the sheep in the pasture.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Yvonne McLeanDo you know why the sheep seem to be in a line? Are they keeping a distance from the wind vanes?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Town hall is Stawell which also has a mining history.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As it turns out my choice of pie for lunch was a gold medal winner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our cabin for the next 2 nights. It has everything we need including AC.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two grey kangaroos with a magpie. Note the “roo” kneeling to eat the grass.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A front view.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Yvonne McLeanAre they like our deer in Victoria? So used to people that they continue on with what they're doing even though people are in range. I thought roos were dangerous!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A view of the Grampian mountains and our cabin site.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A panorama of the Grampians with a field of kangaroos where we had dinner last night.
Heart 1 Comment 0


Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 1,260 km (782 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonWe both loved Halls Gap, and its amazing kangaroo show. It’s the number one place we talk about going back to down there.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago