To Sainte Enimie - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2022

To Sainte Enimie

Today we cycled a stretch along the Tarn known as the Gorges du Tarn and it was one of the most scenic and enjoyable sections of road that we have  experienced.

But first, our day began with mixed weather,  some cloud and sun but no rain. There always seems to be that threat of rain but it is often later in the day. Our first stop today was at a local sandwich shop near our hotel in a newly built shopping area that had many retail stores. Millau is a much larger and more developed area than the other towns we have been travelling through. Before leaving town we rode over to see a grand church  that we could just see off in the distance. Having now satisfied our site seeing curiosity for Millau, we headed over the bridge out of town along the D187 divided highway. We passed a number of camping areas and activity centers located next to the Tarn. It looked like a popular area to vacation. Beyond town, the area became very rural with beautiful historic settlements nestled in the hills among the fields. Quite picture perfect.

Entrance to Eglise du Sacré-Coeur. The church we saw in Millau.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Route out of Millau through a row of plane trees on a grey coolish morning.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The town of Compeyre. Just a bit too far up and away for visit today. We enjoyed its beauty from a distance.
Heart 6 Comment 0
First Tarn crossing of the day on an old railway bridge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The view below. Today we will see the Tarn take on many different shapes and appearances.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another small unnamed town but deserving of a photo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just a pretty morning ride in the French country side when the new green growth in spring is so vibrant. A wonderful time to be here.
Heart 6 Comment 0
In the distance we can see that the hills have some very interesting rock formations. And if you look closely you can see parts of an old castle and village all around it.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Barry DevlinFinally some interesting rocks - rock on!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another town that we passed on route to our first stop - the village of Le Rozier. This may have been Boyne.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Views of the surrounding hills.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Crossing the bridge at the village of Le Rozier. Looking upstream you can make out the remains of a bridge built in the 13th century.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today`s  weather was following the previous days weather patterns. Cool and slightly cloudy in the morning and some sun poking through by noon. When the sun appears it is a very nice temperature around twenty degrees and usually we are able to shed one outer clothing layer. 

Our plan today was to stop at Le Rosier which is about 20km from Millau. But with just a small breakfast and no coffee for Scott, we were getting quite hungry before reaching Le Rosier so we stopped just short of  town at a convenient bench to have the sandwich that we had purchased.

Our daily coffee stop was in Le Rozier and after a quick loop around town we carried on back across the bridge to continue with our ride to Sainte Enimie. We did not not know what the next part of the ride would be like.

Our coffee stop in Le Rozier. We are in the sun but our jackets are still on. In fact we did not take them off today as it was a bit chiller with a slight breeze blowing. Scott is so happy as this is his first coffee of the day. In fact he had two.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI’m with Scott on wanting my coffee!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Very old and efficient baguette chopper. Watch your fingers!
Heart 7 Comment 6
Keith AdamsIs that black doodad on your wrist just a long glove, or a brace of some sort? It appears I've recently developed carpal tunnel (or some other malady of the wrist and hands) but the daytime brace I have is unsuitable for cycling so I'm interested in how others cope.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo Keith AdamsHi Keith, no braces here - just a glove and my Fitbit watch. Hope you are able to solve your wrist issue.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott FenwickThanks. So far, at least, it seems I can manage alright with just the night brace, but the real test will be weeks on the road.

We'll see...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith AdamsI had carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, though much worse in the left (unusual since I’m right-dominant but not unhear-of). Corrective surgery was recommended for the left and I had that done in mid-October 2018. I requested that timing so it was after cycling season and recovered before ski season and made do with a night brace through the summer. My friends thought my frequent hand shaking was some new signal! No issues since the surgery, though I occasionally need the night brace on the right.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Jacquie GaudetThanks Jacquie. It's too late for me to go the surgery route before my tour so I'll just have to carry the braces and hope.

Happily it seems as if things are slowing improving so there's that ray of sunshine.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith AdamsMy first bout of carpal tunnel (both hands) actually went away on its own and didn’t come back for years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The church and the surrounding hills of Le Rozier.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Upper part of Le Rozier. The town looked like it supports many visitors in the summer months.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Scott had to get a picture of Pat going through the rock tunnel as we entered the area known as Gorges du Tarn. Little did he know there must be at least twenty of these passages along the way. They never really get old but after awhile you do stop taking pictures. They are so cool.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI love tunnels if you don’t have issues with traffic!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The next thirty or so kilometres beyond Le Rozier were some of the best cycling we have  encountered. This may seem like a strong statement, but the scenery and the fact we had the road almost entirely to ourselves made it particularly special.  I am sure that we broke a record for the slowest speed through this area as Scott`s picture count was close to 200 for the day.  Pat now knows how Rachael must feel!!  Here is just a small sample of the views that we experienced. Well, maybe not so small after all!

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 11 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
We are always happy to see a directional sign that lists our destination!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
That is our road the D907B on the right. The river and the road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Such a different looking Tarn at this point.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rare shot of the tour guide.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Scott AndersonNicely done! You should grab the camera more often.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Happy client.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pat has a soft spot for kayaks. But this part of river does look like a blast.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 0
Hauterives, Gorges du Tarn. Curious village looks pretty fro the opposite bank of the Tarn. But look closely at the banners on the walls, ¨village in peril¨. The town dates back to the 13th century. This small village has the particularity of being located on the left bank of the Tarn without any road access. The connection with the village is made by a small cable car for all that is goods and mail, and by boat to pass on the other side of the Tarn for people.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis is another photo we hung on our wall for years. We stayed in St Enemie two nights and took a canoe ride down to La Marlene. One of our favorite memories from our early tours.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

 About a kilometre outside of Sainte Enimie we encountered a rain shower and we took shelter near by. It quickly passed and we carried on our way. As it turns out, Sainte Enimie is also a member of the Les plus beaux villages club. It is, of course, a very pretty town. We stopped just short of our hotel to have a beer in the sun and celebrate an amazing ride. Hard to believe but before we were finished our beers, the skies opened and we were sent scurrying for our hotel just down the street.

A great place to hide from the rain.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Cheers. In the sun and the end of a great day.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Run!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from our room, safe and dry. What a day!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 254 km (158 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Scott AndersonThanks for the reminder of what an exceptional road this is! We’ve been talking about going back for 25 years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ROSY ColistroThe photos are amazing You both look fit and relaxed!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonAn amazing ride! Beautiful pictures!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a fantastic ride and beautiful photos! I’m glad to have someone sympathize with me about the waiting on photos but now I just turn on my GoPro go on ahead and meet Scott later. It’s great having a gps that let’s me track him and send a message if I need to.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
KAREN JONESGlorious scenery! Thanks for sharing. I'm sitting in bed perusing your photos and feeling like I have done a workout...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetAnother area to add to my list of future tours!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago