To Le Pont-de-Montvert - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2022

To Le Pont-de-Montvert

A couple more pictures from our our walk about yesterday in Saint Enimie.

Exploring the narrow alleyways of Sainte Enimie.
Heart 4 Comment 0
As we walked around another thunder shower sent us back to the hotel. As a result, we needed more time to completely explore the town of Sainte Enimie. But suffice to say it is a wonderful old village.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We departed our hotel at 10:15 this morning which has been pretty  consistent for us. Today began where we left off yesterday on  the D908B. The weather was overcast and the road was still slightly wet as we climbed our first 100 metres leaving Sainte Enimie. The strong head wind that we experienced coming into town yesterday was now gone. Although the road was a bit busier with car traffic, it was still quite light. We were  within the Gorge du Tarn area but the steep walled cliffs soon gave way to more gentle slopes. All the beauty remained but under cloudy skies the photographer was much less active and our overall speed levels were greatly improved.

We quickly moved up the hills above the Tarn and enjoyed great views showing the size of the river.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The road twists and turns as we make our way east.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A group of kayakers trying to keep their boats straight in the river. It looks like fun and the views from that level would be great.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Chateau de Prades and of course, Pat.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Tarn river as it snakes its way up the valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Those are houses down there. How people built houses and lived in some difficult terrain centuries ago is mind boggling.
Heart 7 Comment 0
So beautiful.
Heart 11 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Surrounding hills would look a bit more appealing if they were lit up by the sun but they are beautiful,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Castlebouc is on the left bank so we can only see it from a distance as we are high on the road on the opposite bank.
Heart 5 Comment 0
More Tarn. We are up much higher today so the river really becomes the focus.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were a number of small settlements along our route today but few with any commercial size. We had planned a stop in the town of Ispagnac which is conveniently located about 20kms from Sainte Enimie. We thought that this would be a good place for a coffee break and to buy a sandwich for lunch.

As it turned out, the patisserie that Pat had scoped out appeared to  be open but had no bread on the shelves. However, the small coffee shop was completely full of local people. They took great amusement at the oddity of two anglephone cyclists in their small town. Everyone is so friendly and have a custom of greeting with a welcoming, ¨bonjour¨. We enjoyed our coffees outside on the patio and considered our lunch options. It looked like it would be the fruit and crackers that we had previously stored away.  Our destination of  Pont de Montvert was only 25kms away but with a good deal of it uphill.

The church in Ispagnac also dates back from the 12th century and a beautiful example of Romanesque architecture. The sign on the wall indicates that it will be under going a refurbishment.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

 Shortly after leaving Ispagnac, the D907b connects to the highway N106. It is a big road but the traffic was not bad and we only needed to ride it for 3kms until we could  turn off at Le Pont du Tarn. We then began to follow the much smaller and scenic D998.   This road follows the Tarn and the climbing begins very soon after the junction. It takes you high above the river for some truly magnificent  views. About 10 kms before Le Pont de Montvert the road starts a continuous climb for about 300 vertical metres. 

Crossing at Le Pont du Tarn.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption is located in the municipality of Bédouès. It was built in 1363.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This a great machine that picks up, debarks and slices to length. It was amazing watching the operator. Was thinking this would be a good toy for you, James G.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The D998 does not get nearly the same attention as the D908D in the Gorges du Tarn but the views and riding were both amazing. Just do not get too close to the side of the road!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we continued to climb, the views of the Tarn river were great. Here are a few of the pictures.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are heading for that gap in the hills.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing several tributaries as we head up to our destination.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back, the cloud looked concerning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
But the road up to Pont de Montvert was sunny and warm.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More old bridges.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A great road to ride but the climb for us is substantial.
Heart 5 Comment 0
So much fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Reaching the top.... for today. The town of Pont de Montvert waits just below.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We have reached the top of our ride today at almost 800 vertical metres. Can you spot what is missing from this picture? The guide should get a good tip today!
Heart 4 Comment 5
Rachael AndersonWow! He carried your bags. Scott’s never done that for me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonReally? Don’t tell Rachael. We don’t want her to get ideas.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo Scott AndersonToo late. The cat is out of the bag. Fortunately for you Rachael has full size panniers which are too large for a front rack. It is not often, but sometimes it gets us up over a hill and I have a front rack for that purpose.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo Rachael AndersonI have spoken to him about that now. Maybe he will consider it. But Pat just has small front panniers so it works for us in a pinch. Maybe a smaller wardrobe is needed?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetAs we were making our way uphill into Siena, a couple passed us going the opposite direction. When I caught up to him, Al said I shouldn’t get ideas. I hadn’t really noticed, but he was on a heavy bike with a trailer while she was on an unloaded road bike. I prefer to carry my own stuff so I don’t need to catch up if I want my rain jacket, say. And it’s possible to fix a flat in the time it takes for Al to notice I’m further behind than usual and come back. How do I know that, you ask?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The hills around Pont de Montvert.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cloud never did catch us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We choose to stay in Le Pont de Montvert as it was just over midway up to the col de la crois de Berthel at  which is 1088 metres. The small town has one main street with a bustling bar and a couple of patisseries. Our hotel catered to the hiking set, offering half board and a packed lunch. The dinner menu had a couple of choices of soup, main and dessert. We arrived at 8 pm and already every table was full. We both had a salmon lasagna that was very good. After dinner we walked across the street to our room and called it another great day of cycling.

The famous bridge at the Pont de Montvert is a national historic monument.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our home for the night.Gîte en Cévennes Le Pont de Montvert is a wonderful place to stay.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Scott`s new Garmin has so much information. Look - a new record!
Heart 4 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonAren’t the Garmin gps’s great!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickIt has been taking some time to adust to from my old edge 705. But yes they are good. You must have been so sad when yours went missing and jumped for joy when found.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI didn’t import the data from my old one either so I keep setting records too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It is breezy by the river but a wonderful place in the sun to enjoy an afternoon beer at the end of our ride.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Mountain bike tourers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tarn at the top of Pont du Montvert.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An overflowing canal system that brings water to the town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Reaching the end of the Tarn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Delicious salmon lasagna.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 298 km (185 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0