To Alaró - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2022

To Alaró

We must say that we loved our stay in Alaró today. We had such a great time! But not to get too far ahead of ourselves, our day began with leaving our hotel around  9 am.  That was early for us,  but our plan was to start our ride a bit earlier to avoid the highest temperatures of the day. Good in principle, but in reality, in order to avoid the heat of the day you really need to start much earlier than that. Daily temperatures are now reaching around 30 degrees. Fortunately most of the riding today was in semi forested areas and although hot, not at all unbearable for us. We did consume a lot of water!

Our ride followed the same routing back about 10 kms  from Alcudia to the cross roads where we bumped into our friends yesterday. With a left hand turn we were heading inland on a quiet shady backroad. After a short stint on a divided highway with a good shoulder we again returned to a backroad and on our way to the town of Campanet that we had visited yesterday. Our riding was at a very relaxed pace,  our loads were light and the  roadies easily whizzed past. Scott was spending quite a bit of time taking pictures of this and that when we stopped at what appeared to be a lemon orchard with two large open tanks full of water. One of them had a large fish, maybe a Koi,  in it. We were watching this fish wondering if there were more and who should come up from behind but Anne and David Mathers! Once again howls of laughter. Mallorca is a small island but to be on the same road at the same time and meet up is pretty much impossible. They were repositioning to a hotel in Soller today. After a short chat they left us and we could say with certainty, that we  would not be seeing them again as we continued on our dawdling pace toward Alaró.

In the lower levels near the coast there were large vineyards. Compared with the vineyards in the south of France, these were much further along in their growth.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our backroad leading us inland toward the Tramuntana mountains. Not many cars but there were a fair number of road cyclists. Having said that, we were told that the peak season for road cycling is earlier in the year. It is getting too hot now.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Vineyards and olive groves. Very beautiful ride.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We were wondering what these large clay vessels were used to store. Any ideas? They are attractive.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Barry DevlinWine - what else!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Terraced hillside.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking toward the Tramuntana Mountains.
Heart 4 Comment 0
After our second chance meet up, we were wondering if the Mathers were tracking us.
Heart 7 Comment 0
...and just that quickly, they were off. A wonderful road to ride.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our coffee stop today was in the small village of Moscari in a cute plaza  beside the town`s church. Soon after leaving, the town of Selva could be seen high on a hill.  As we reached the outskirts of Selva we headed up the hill to have a closer look.

Coffee stop today.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Selva in the distance.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Nice shady roads keep the cycling very comfortable even though it is quite warm.
Heart 4 Comment 0

There were many small towns on our route today  and we stopped at the next one (Lloseta) for a snack break on a bench in the shade. The temperatures were now getting warmer now and with a cafe across the street we decided it also was a good place for a washroom break.  We sat at a table to order something and noticed two other cyclists request a 1.5 litre bottle of ice cold water. What a great idea and it was just what we needed before taking on the last bit of the ride up to Alaró. By Mallorcan standards it really was not much of a climb but it was sufficient to create a thirst for a beer when we arrived at our destination.

Well and water pump in Biniamar. Scott tried but could not get the pump to work.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mom and her baby slightly bothered by a cyclist who stopped by the fence!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading toward Alaró now - up toward the Tramuntana mountains.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Really just a Mallorca baby coll.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Puig d`Alaró.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Saturday afternoon and Alaró was in  party mode. The Saturday  market was just finishing up in the main square and just around the corner a live band was playing with people dancing and enjoying the warm afternoon. We grabbed a couple of chairs at the nearest bar and enjoyed our beer as we watched the event in front of us. Truly a great way to finish today`s ride. 

Live band and party atmosphere in Alero.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
David MathersLove those beer pictures 🍻
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We finished up our beer and went back to the main square to look for a quick bite as the rotisserie chicken vendors were just closing up. We only had a snack today so we ordered 1/2 a chicken and potatoes to share. We have often seen these pop up rotisserie  stands at markets but had never tried one. Damn delicious! The potatoes that roast in the bottom tray in the juices that drip from the chickens on spits above are as wonderful as you think they would be but certainly not the best heart smart meal!

Our hotel, Alaró Natura Rural Suites, was just around the corner and our host, who was also the owner, quickly hung our bikes in the garage and showed us around as well as explained the unique history of the building. The building was originally a shoe factory and  Javier`s mother had lived in the building for 25 years before he took on the challenge of turning it into a wonderful small boutique hotel The hotel is very environmentally  and sustainably focused. After showing us to our room he asked us to join him later for a glass of local organic wine.

Our room is the one in the far left corner of the courtyard.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We showered and changed into the only evening attire we packed for our light weight, four day tour and  joined Javier for a glass of wine. We were very surprised to  be invited to a friends and family cooking class, too. We had so much fun learning how to prepare the appetizer, Quinoa & seed crackers with roasted pepper dip as well a vegetable & tempeh curry dish. Both were delicious and we will likely try them out at home! We left before the dessert instruction began so that we could see the town and of course... eat some more!

Our chefs were excellent and more than happy to provide an English description of the meal preparation for us!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Quinoa & seed crackers with roasted pepper dip.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The vegetable part of the vegetable & tempeh curry dish.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The fried tempeh.
Heart 4 Comment 0
All together in a bowl with rice -- delicious!
Heart 5 Comment 0

We wondered around the town of  Alaró on a busy Saturday night and enjoyed the authentic local feel to it. The main bar was loud and the plaza was full of people. 

Heading out for a Saturday night In Alaró.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Alaró church bell tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Alaró.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mid 1700`s water fountain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The bougainvilleas are out in full bloom! Gorgeous!
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are lots of narrow, interesting streets to wander around.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Still feeling quite full we had set our sights on having a small meal at Gallardo Restaurante Pizzeria. Although the outside seating appeared not to be full when we arrived all the tables seemed to be reserved. Fortunately a couple left as we were arriving and we were provided a table. We ordered the special pizza and although we could not finish all of it, the simple fresh buffalo mozzarella, basil and tomato  pizza was excellent.

Our final dinner of the night. The best pizza we have had on our trip.
Heart 8 Comment 3
Keith AdamsAnd excellent food porn, too! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierI always give hearts to pictures of pizza! My favorite food!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Barry DevlinMaking me very hungry!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
End of our night walking through the main plaza toward the church and back to our room.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow, although short,  we have a series of hills to ride on route to Valldemossa as we leave Alaró  and the gateway to the Tramuntana mountains.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,009 km (627 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
David MathersWe had a nice look around Alaro today…great place. We really enjoyed the coast ride to Deia too. I think you’re coming through there tomorrow. Stop and the supermacato and pick up some baked goods made by a local cycling legend. Enjoy your next few days!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickDavid,

Unfortunately we picked up our baking in Valldemossa. You be pleased to know that the Sa Calobra is done and dusted. We had great fun. Pat says its a snap compared to Ventoux!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago