To Valldemossa - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2022

To Valldemossa

Our day began with an amazing breakfast at our hotel Alaró Natura Rural Suites. So many great choices including scrambled eggs along with grilled vegetables, roasted red pepper dip and freshly made guacamole to name just a few. Needless to say,  we began our ride full to the brim! Should you be cycling in this area, you cannot go wrong by staying here.

We are taking our time visiting the Serra de Tramuntana side of Mallorca. Today`s ride was less than 40 kms. We left Alaró on a road that cuts between Puig d'Alaró  and the large mastiff beside it, Puig de s'Alcadena, on route to the small village of Orient. Orient is part of the  larger UNESCO area and  protected as a historical site. We reached the  village after our first hill climb of the day. It was actually a very nice ride on a quiet shady road which had a quite manageable,  six degree gradient. 

The village of Orient has a couple of restaurants but it was a bit too early  for a coffee stop so we pushed on riding along a another quiet road full of switchbacks as we steadily moved higher. Reaching the top we really enjoyed the quick 10 km  glide downhill to the town of Bunyola. The road  alternated from old and new sections of pavement with some very sharp switch backs. For us, caution was needed but riding on these roads is great fun.

Our road was very quiet leaving Alaró.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A man leading an escaped lamb back behind the fence.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We split the large hills Puig d'Alaró and Puig de s'Alcadena as we entered the Serra de Tramuntanaé
Heart 4 Comment 0
A great look at Puig d'Alaró up close. It is quite a rock.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pat beginning the climb with Puig de s'Alcadena in the background. It really is very beautiful country.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A nice Sunday morning ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great vistas.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking at the jet streams in the blue sky through the canopy overhead. The shady road provided very comfortable riding temperature.
Heart 2 Comment 1
KAREN JONESChem trails ;-D
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And there it is, at the top of Coll d`Orient.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We are now within the world heritage Serra de Tramuntana.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The road going through Orient.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Into the tight switchbacks heading back up again.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Another coll, but this top is much tougher from Bunyola direction. The ride down was wonderful.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We are now seeing that the Serra de Tramuntana on Mallorca are a very beautiful place to ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In Bunyola, it was time to stop for coffee in the  town`s main square. Being Sunday morning, it was a very busy plaza and we did not notice that the area was served by three different restaurants. Each had their own seating area but they all were completely combined. Pat grabbed a nearby table where we had rested our bikes against a tree and Scott wandered off to a restaurant for the usual order of an espresso and a cappuccino. We began to enjoy our coffees when a waiter recognized that we had cups and saucers from a different cafe, and politely told us we were in the wrong seating area. No problem, and we moved to the section beside as it was now becoming obvious there were a different types of chairs. Very soon after sitting in our new chairs, we were again advised that we were  again in the wrong area. This time we moved to a park bench with the hopes that no one would ask us to move again. We enjoyed our coffees and watched a group of young boys play with their football against the church wall as well as cycle groups coming and going.

The main square in Banyola. The white chairs belong to the restaurant right across the street not the one that is on the plaza.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Football game against the church wall. Every man for himself.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Handy water source right beside the game.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The church door in Bunyola.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The last part of the ride to Valldemossa was on  busier main roads. The first part was a long straight section that had a good shoulder but we left that and began the ride uphill toward Valldemossa on a nicely paved road but without any shoulder. There was fairly constant car traffic but everyone passed with an abundance of caution. The day was getting warmer and we were pleased when we reach our destination for today.

The views riding toward Valldemossa.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great views from the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Valldemossa.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Almost there. You can tell Valdemossa will be a very beautiful town.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Arrived. Finished the last hill of he day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A nice shady plaza in Valldemossa for a lunch break of our left over pizza from last night. The temperatures were now around 34 degrees.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We made our way along the main cafe and shop lined street pushing our bikes up a steep incline toward a plaza opposite the church. Here we found these wonderful big stone benches shaded from sun. After our snack, we decided to see if we could now check into our room. Some small hotels  have completely gone to a self serve  check in system. They will send you a pass code number by email that you use to get into the front door and into your room. In fact, we did not see any employees  the whole  time at the Marton Hotel. We let ourselves in, showered, changed and went back out to explore Valldemossa. It is certainly a town  on the tourist circuit and you can understand why. It has amazing vistas from being high on the hill, a narrow twisting street network, multiple plazas, gardens  and very unique historical architecture that all make it a very special place to visit on Mallorca. It did seem quiet and we easily moved around without having to consider any crowds. Like many tourist towns, in the evening you can feel like you have your place to yourselves.

Heart 7 Comment 0
The panoramic views form Valdemossa.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Charterhouse in Valldemossa was originally a palace for a king from the early 1300`s and later a monastery.
Heart 8 Comment 0
A closer look.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This appears to be stairs with the bottom steps having plant pots on them. Notice the narrow railing attached to the building.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Gardens in Valdemossa.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wonderful narrow streets throughout the town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The sun is setting on the benches where we were sitting earlier in the day. The small cafes nearby are closed and we have the town pretty much to ourselves.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pat`s avocado chicken salad.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Scott`s grilled squid.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Returning to our hotel we let ourselves in and wondered if any one else would staying here but later we heard other guests arriving. We were lucky that we were on the main floor and could store our bikes in our room, other wise I am not sure what we would have done.

Tomorrow we leave Valldemossa and ride mainly downhill visiting a couple of towns before reaching our destination,  Port of Sóller. It will be a fairly easy ride to rest our legs for the climbs necessary go back through the Serra de Tramuntana as we return to Alcudia.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,044 km (648 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David MathersWe rode to Valledemossa today and were looking for you along the way. The ride was fabulous with the views of the Mediterranean and the rolling climbs along the way. Enjoy your big day tomorrow…we’re cheering you on 🚴
Reply to this comment
1 year ago