Elizabeth City to Kill Devil Hills: - Outer Banks Loop & a Little More - CycleBlaze

October 20, 2011

Elizabeth City to Kill Devil Hills:

On to the Outer Banks

The Tropical Storm was history as the morning was colder (54 degrees) and windy. Each day of the tour we were blessed with tailwinds, or at worst quartering winds. Today this would change.

The Pasquotank River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wonder if any Weight Watchers live on Pinch Gut Road?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at a farmer's market along the road. There were student groups on field trips inside. As retired educators we realized it is much more fun to observe little children on a field trip than it is to actually supervise them. While inside the wind blew our tandem over in spite of it being secured to a post.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were now on the Adventure Cycling Atlantic Coast Outer Banks Alternate route and riding into brisk headwinds. While riding south on Rt. 158 the traffic was loud and frequent although we usually had a decent shoulder. On a backroad we saw this house with a tree planted in the center. Interesting concept.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route crossed onto the Outer Banks on the two mile Wright Memorial Bridge. We happened to catch a tailwind on the bridge which assisted us in hitting 27 mph in top gear on the flats. Rhona was not enjoy the speeds as much as I did. Upon arrival on the islands the route traveled along a curvy bicycle path through forest and swamp areas. We had our pick of hotel rooms and found one along the beach. The beach was very narrow and steep. I wondered if it was damaged by the hurricane.

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 235 miles (378 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0