Conclusion - Outer Banks Loop & a Little More - CycleBlaze

Conclusion

Thoughts on the route: The Outer Banks Loop turned out to be an enjoyable tour with minimal logistical challenges. It's nice to be able to do a loop route without doubling back on the route. There are very few hills on the route which usually results in more wind issues. We were fortunate to experience tailwinds all but one day. We heard reports that winds on the Outer Banks are usually from the north. The ferries were nice breaks in the cycling routine and provided some very scenic views. We had misgivings about going on this tour so soon after Hurricane Irene. We decided to go anyway, partly because we thought the people and businesses along the route would appreciate money from tourism. We did not take (or publish) many pictures of the damaged areas, partly because we did not want to be voyeurs but also because so much of the area was either not damaged or already repaired. We were wise to take our camping equipment since some lodgings listed in the Adventure Cycling maps were closed. Adventure Cycling is promoting an "Outer Banks In-to-Inn" tour scheduled for April 2012. It should be a good one.
Equipment: Once again the B.O.B. trailer was an effective way to transport our gear. On previous tours with camping gear we had difficulty loading everything on panniers, handlebar bags and the rear rack. The combination of weight loaded relatively high and to the rear caused problems when taking evasive maneuvers (such as when crossing rumble strips). With the B.O.B. the weight is mostly off the bicycle and does not effect the handling at all. Our Cannondale Tandem is very stiff, so I haven't experienced any of the problems single bike riders sometimes describe when pulling a trailer. The one wheel design of the B.O.B. makes it easy to hug the edge of the pavement without worrying that one wheel will drop off onto the berm. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26 x 1.35 in. tires we mounted before our summer Underground Rail Road tour served us well once again. Not only did we not have any flats but I didn't even need to add air during the almost four weeks we were on tour/vacation. I didn't even worry when riding through glass shards on the road shoulders.

Weather: We experienced tropical humid weather with rain as well as brisk clear sunshine. Temperatures were pleasant for bicycle touring

We finished our vacation visiting family in Sarasota. While cycling downtown we saw this sculpture of an iconic picture taken on VE day at the end of World War II. Being the romantic tandem riding couple we are, we replicated the sculpture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0