Plymouth to Elizabeth City: - Outer Banks Loop & a Little More - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2011

Plymouth to Elizabeth City:

On-Star to the rescue!

In the morning it was raining steadily and we were under a Tropical Storm watch and concerned about our plan to cycle toward Merchant's Millpond State Park. We were likely to be in remote/rural areas with low lying roads and a healthy crop of mosquitoes. Rhona noted we could deviate from the Adventure Cycling route and head toward a bridge across the Ablemarle Sound and head straight for Elizabeth City. Regardless, it looked like we were going to be cycling in the rain.
While eating breakfast in the hotel we met cycle tourists Frank Zangara and Dave McCallum also pouring over their maps. They were maintaining a Crazyguy journal titled "Finishing a Dream" at

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=8371

We finally decided to leave although it was still raining. Almost immediately the rain slacked off to a drizzle and finally to just really heavy humidity. I did not take any pictures during the ride, not wanting to subject the camera to moisture. Manky of the narrow roads were not pleasant to ride on with narrow shoulders, but at least the asphalt was lean and smooth.

When we arrived at the hotel a light bulb went on in my head. We knew On-Star had the ability to remotely unlock our car (at our request). I wonder if they can lock the car? Five minutes later, after a call to On-Star the car was safely locked. Problem solved!

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 175 miles (282 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0