Kill Devil Hills to Rodanthe: - Outer Banks Loop & a Little More - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2011

Kill Devil Hills to Rodanthe:

Balloons at the Wright Memorial

Upon arrival in Rodanthe we learned the hotel was closed because of hurricane damage. In fact, even the local KOA was destroyed. We were able to find a small campsite on the Pamlico Sound.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started the day at the Wright Memorial. Unfortunately, we arrived one day before a major gathering of gliders were slated to arrive.

It's a little known fact that two touring cyclists actually gave that last little push that got the Wright brothers airborne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took many pictures at the Wright Memorial. The first flight began at the sidewalk corner farthest away and flew to the first white marker. Subsequent flights that day reached the small white marker in the distance, just before the trees. All in all, a rather underwhelming start. Who could have believed it would result in airplanes flying around the globe and men on the moon within one century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the monument we met Jamie Krause, the "Balloon Biker". Jamie was in the middle of a tour starting in her home in Chicago. She had been living a carfree lifestyle for some time and decided to go on an extended bicycle tour. Her plan was to cycle to Florida and then fly to Seattle where her mother lives. She has a website at balloonbiker.com . Jamie's is obviously a strong experienced cyclist who is possibly the only cycle tourist carrying a pump to inflate balloons.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona hefted the bag of 2,000 balloons Jamie carried along. She thought she might carry fewer balloons on future tours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jamie twisted balloons to give me big eyeballs on my helmet (sitting on her rear rack) and eyeballs for the rear of Rhona's helmet so that overtaking vehicles would steer clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The final product. This and several other pictures were taken with a cellphone camera. Unfortunately, the lens was dirty.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued south along the island with Jamie. We crossed the section near Pea Island National Woildlife Refuge where the hurricane had cut the road. While crossing a bridge in the area we saw numerous dead birds including a pelican. The birds appeared to have been struck by vehicles.

Along much of the island the ocean and the bay was not visible because of sand dunes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 272 miles (438 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0