Solo ride - Triple Trails NZ - CycleBlaze

February 11, 2023

Solo ride

Tim arrived today, a day early because a cyclone is about to hit Auckland and even create several days of rain and wind here in Havelock North.  if he didn’t leave today it may be several days before he could get out depending upon the severity of the cyclone.  As a consequence J&B decided to golf while I went for a solo cycle in the area before Tim arrived.  Derek very kindly offered to take me to meet Tim at the airport since J&B couldn’t make it within the time constraints.  

My ride was a mixture of road and trail and frankly it wasn’t what I planned but it worked out just fine. I went through parts of the Gimblett wine region but also found some very good cycling roads through Hastings.  Sometimes it pays to venture from the plan since I also discovered a great aquatic centre that we can use on rainy days. 

As for cycling through the wine region the Gimblett gravels a unique.   The Gimblett Gravels used to be the former path of the Ngaruroro River. But after a flood in 1867 the river started taking another passage. It left a section of dry river stones behind, forming what is now considered prime vineyard land.  The rocks are used much like those in the Châteaux Neuf du Pape region to keep the vines warm in the colder weather, hence good for growing red grapes.

A well know NZ winery in the Gimblett gravel region along the bike pathway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some lovely red grapes
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Gimblett region, note the rocks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oak St in Hastings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Where we are renting our flat
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 177 km (110 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0