Dunedin-rest day - Triple Trails NZ - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2023

Dunedin-rest day

We left Oamaru after breakfast and headed off to Dunedin.  I walked to breakfast to have a little stretch of the legs and to see a little of Oamaru since there wasn’t much time yesterday.  On the way home we stopped to see the Moreaki Boulders.  Once in Dunedin I did some laundry, wandered the city a little and enjoyed some peace and quiet.  Dunedin was the first South Island location to be settled by Europeans, basically Scots.  The city was originally called New Edinburgh and there are many buildings here that remind one of Edinburgh Scotland.

Oamaru has an old Victorian area that is quite lovely.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church and gardens in Oamaru
Heart 0 Comment 0
More Oamaru
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building is still a blacksmith
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fooling around with one of the boulders trying to escape the beach due to erosion.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moreaki boulders on the beach. The Moeraki Boulders are a group of large spherical “stones” on Koekohe Beach near Moeraki on New Zealand’s Otago coast. These boulders are actually concretions that have been exposed through shoreline erosion from coastal cliffs. Even today, there are still boulders remaining in the mudstone that will, eventually, fall on to the beach as they come lose due to erosion!
Heart 0 Comment 0
What they look like as they break down.6
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNeat! I have collected concretions in SoCal back in the 60s-70s as a kid, but they were only an inch or so across.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gail JohnsonLooks like a turtle
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A statue to Robbie Burns in Dunedin
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Paul’s Anglican church
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many beautiful stained glass windows, this one depicting the Otago region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is lot of street art in this city, this is tuatara lizard that is a remnant of the dinosaurs and is on the verge of extinction
Heart 1 Comment 0
My friend Ham attended this school at the University of Otago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the floor in the famous Dunedin train station. The exterior is wrapped and undergoing renovation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inside the train station
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another Victorian age building that once was a jail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Had a great venison dinner at the Speight’s Ale House.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dunedin is the home of Speights beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonFascinating walk around
Reply to this comment
1 year ago