Cycling and wine tasting - Triple Trails NZ - CycleBlaze

February 27, 2023

Cycling and wine tasting

The cycling options here are still limited by the damage done by the cyclone.  For example, the dyke (aka stock bank) we rode a lot the last time we were here was breached by the river in 5-6 places destroying the trail and flooding the vineyards and apple orchards.  The farms near us were much luckier since the dykes held.  Tim and I headed out to Clifton but stopped at Elephant Hill winery for a look see only to find out it was open for tastings.  Of course we ventured in and tried some amazing wines.  We were the only ones in the place so our sever gave us lots to taste of some very expensive wines.  Unfortunately as we headed back home the rain came again so we’re pretty dirty by the time we finished.  Nonetheless it was a good day.

You can see the devastation in the vineyards where the dykes didn’t hold. Craggy Range one of biggest and best well known winery and restaurant closed their doors for 2 weeks. Instead the kitchen prepared meals to be given to people who lost everything.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can still see some of the damage on the trails and the debris from the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Elephant Hill winery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We tasted some amazing wines including the one circled in red. It takes and entire row of grapes to make only 1 bottle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Smiling Tim leaving the winery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me too
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was just the white tasting, we had 5 reads after that and all free.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I did say that we finished in the rain so we got a little dirty.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 298 km (185 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0