Finding Rotorua - NZ North Island Hubs and Scenic Spokes - CycleBlaze

March 24, 2019

Finding Rotorua

Today was a very interesting day.  We started with a van transfer from Napier to the outer reaches of Rotorua where we were supposed to pick up a trail into town.  Herein lies the problem, while the NZ trail system says it is fine to ride on a road bike, they were wrong.  It is barely suited to a mountain bike let alone a road bike nonetheless we were undaunted and persevered.  With the determination of our fearless leader Ron and the help of local mountain biker and a local farmer we managed to find our way on trails not really suited for road bikes but we all made it safe and sound.  Remember BAC stands for the Bicycle Adventure Club and we found the “adventure” today.  I have to say today was the only day where finding the route was difficult and  a little out of the ordinary but it was still fun.

Checkout this odd bike hanging in the hotel bar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loading the bikes in Napier at the Masonic Art Deco Hotel, what a nice place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mud pools on the way to Rotorua.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The region we are in and the meaning to the Maori.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another beautiful fern tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just an example of the trails we road today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding through thermally active grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful Rotorua museum which at the moment is closed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 76 km (47 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0