Buffalo - Back to Beginnings - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2021 to June 13, 2021

Buffalo

I awoke to a light rain, which was predicted to end before mid-morning. However, I couldn't wait it out as I had a 1:00 pm train to catch in Albany. It was only an 18 mile ride, so I did not have to rush - but couldn't dawdle.  I filled up on scrambled eggs and coffee, admiring the collection of turkeys in the fields behind Susan's Airbnb. By the time I left at 9:15, the rain had turned to a light drizzle.

I pedaled the short stretch through North Groton and was soon back on the Albany-Hudson Electric Trail, which was paved once I'd crossed into Rensselaer County. The air had the damp stillness that envelopes a drizzle, broken only by songbirds and the occasional rooster. As I passed through farmlands and neared Albany, the sky lightened and the trail filled with families out for a Saturday morning outing. The route took me through small streets and neighborhoods, always well signed and I arrived at the Albany-Rensselaer Station with more than an hour to spare.

I had reserved a space for Vivien George on the train to Buffalo - we were booked to the Exchange Street Station in downtown Buffalo. Amtrak is encouraging cyclists to use the train, and now accepts roll-on assembled bikes on many of it's routes. If the train has a baggage car, you just had your bike to the conductor and they will load/unload for you. If no baggage car, you might be required to take off the front wheel in order to fit the bike into the designated slots. The 1:00 pm train did not have a baggage car, and we were to remove the front wheel before loading.

Vivien George has disc brakes with a bolt thru axle - not quick release - so removing the wheel requires 1) using an allen wrench to remove the axle, 2) removing the wheel, 3) replacing the bolt axle back in the fork. I was a bit anxious as to the timing of all this, not wanting to leave a one-wheeled Vivien George resting on her front fork while waiting for the train. Not to mention I would have to load bike, panniers, and wheel on the train before it left the station. I explained all this to the ticket agent. He said there was a 7 pm train to Buffalo with a baggage car, and I seriously considered waiting.  

Three other cyclists with bikes - one with bolt thru axles - were also waiting for the train, but none seemed overly concerned with the wheel removal requirement. In the end, the gem of a conductor allowed all four of us to board an empty car and load our bikes without removing the wheel - three bikes in the handicap area and one bike on a hook.  I was delighted!  

Joan E and Seiji were headed to Buffalo to cycle the Eric Canal Trail in celebration of their 20th wedding anniversary. Both work in community health centers in the DC area, and during the 5+ hour train ride we exchanged thoughts and experiences on Covid, HIV and bike touring. Once in Buffalo, I headed straight for the hotel and called it an early night.

Along the Albany Hudson Electric Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the Albany Hudson Electric Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Albany Hudson Electric Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
All decked out in shades for a family stroll along the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arrival at Albany-Rensselaer Station and completion of the Hudson Valley Greenway Traill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading for Buffalo with a new frlend
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seiji and Joan E about to embark on their 20th anniversary bicycle trip
Heart 0 Comment 0

I had scheduled an extra day in Buffalo thinking I might cycle up to Niagara Falls. Instead, I decided to take a day off the bike. After a late breakfast, I explored downtown Buffalo and the Harbor area before returning to the hotel to catch up with family and the journal. I topped off the day with pistachio ice cream and called it an early night.

Downtown Buffalo photo gallery

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buffalo has a nice light rail system
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tesla, the man. Buffalo was the first city in the world to be fully electrified, thanks to inventions and work by Nikola Tesla
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shea's Theater looks forward to re-opening after a very long intermission
Heart 2 Comment 0
I wandered into the nightclub district
Heart 0 Comment 0
The West Village Historic District
Heart 0 Comment 0
West Village Historic District
Heart 1 Comment 0

Harbor Area Photo Gallery

The Buffalo River drains into Lake Erie
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
USS The Sullivans
Heart 0 Comment 0
Among the decommissioned vessels at the Naval and Military Park are (rear to foreground): the USS Little Rock, a light cruiser; the USS The Sullivans, a Fletcher-class destroyers; and the USS Croaker, a Gato-class submarine
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow I begin heading east, starting out along the Eric Canal Trail

The historic western terminus of the Erie Canal
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 miles (29 km)
Total: 211 miles (340 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kathleen JonesBack in the 1970s a radio station held a contest. First prize was a week in Buffalo. Second prize was two weeks. Things were not going well for the city at the time but it looks like Buffalo is doing quite all right now. Good for them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago