To Coeur d'Alene - Northwest Trails - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2023

To Coeur d'Alene

Yesterday we took the streets downtown so the rest of the Centennial Trail going east through Spokane is mostly new to us. Starting a few blocks from the Nick and Addie’s place, the first part runs high above the river with sweeping views of the valley as we start east, back to Riverfront Park.

The trail is wide and smooth, with plenty of room for everyone. That’s good because there are lots of people out here this morning, including what looks like an entire class of high school students with their teachers, out for a walk. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
High schoolers studiously averting their eyes from the oldies on the weird bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Spokane
Heart 1 Comment 0
Upper Falls Dam, just past the bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
We saw the Expo 78 Pavilion in Riverfront Park yesterday but did not realize we could ride under it until Nick told us. Such an elegant structure.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We missed this giant Radio Flyer slide yesterday. The kids were flying off of it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Japanese Lantern concrete sculpture by Harold Balazs. I read that it lights up at night; that must be amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The clouds are gathering. I wonder if we’ll stay dry today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

East of downtown we ride through Gonzaga University campus, and then  the path quiets down, running through the forest with glimpses of the river now and then. There’s a short section on the streets but its not stressful. We’ve been losing elevation from Montana to Washington, now we’re gaining some of it back going back towards Idaho. It’s pretty gentle, an easy ride. 

We stop in Spokane Valley for lunch and a trip to Best Buy for a screen protector and a mouse for my iPad. I’m hoping that will improve my productivity on the journal. I’ve been playing catchup for a few days; today’s the day I get up to date. 

Riding upriver through the trees
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Upriver Dam
Heart 2 Comment 0
Idaho mountains, here we come again
Heart 1 Comment 0
This looks like yellow sweet clover lining the path. As I run my hands along the tops while riding by it feels like a good sturdy plant.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The skies are darkening as we approach the Idaho state line. We’re running alongside the trucks on I-90 now and it’s loud but I’m not complaining. We’ve had to ride on the shoulder of interstate highways before, and are grateful to have a safe path off the road.

Welcome to Idaho
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful screen on a bridge over the Spokane. This motif pops up a few more places on the path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A few raindrops are falling now as we roll along with the trucks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I see you, lovely creatures
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Post Falls there’s another on-street section that’s less fun and it’s full-on raining now. We break out the rain gear and finish out the ride to Coeur d’Alene. The scenery along the lake is probably amazing but that will have to wait until tomorrow when the weather clears. 

Approaching Post Falls Idaho
Heart 2 Comment 0
The camera is wet and gripey, no more pictures today.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We’re so grateful to meet David, our WarmShowers host. A retired teacher and school principal, he is on the board of the North Idaho Centennial Trail Foundation which advocates for the trail and the people who use it. David has Papa Murphy’s pizza and a nice warm and dry bed waiting for us. He is absolutely charming company.

Thank you David!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 528 miles (850 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0