To Harrison - Northwest Trails - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2023

To Harrison

We’re riding to the end of the North Idaho Centennial Trail this morning, and continuing south along the east shore of the lake. Nick said we could expect a touristy beach scene in Coeur d’Alene. That must be the part we did yesterday in the rain, because the scene this morning is pretty laid back. 

Love to see families out riding together
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ironman Coeur d’Alene is coming up next week. It’s good to be here before the crowds arrive. I kicked my triathlon habit a few years ago - just didn’t care much for going downhill fast, or for the swimming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I bet this guy is training for the Ironman race
Heart 1 Comment 0
The trail runs by the five mile long Coeur d’Alene Lake Parkway, where scenic viewpoints and picnic areas abound.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I don’t know who this jaunty fellow is but he’s in a prime spot to shoot some beautiful pictures of the lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Higgens Point at the east end of the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Can’t remember what was so funny but this photo makes me laugh
Heart 2 Comment 0

From the end of the trail we have 3,000 feet of ascent over 30 miles to look forward to. David, our WarmShowers host last night, told us about a shortcut that bypasses two hills. We just have to find the break in the fence downhill from Higgens Point to get out to the shoulder of I-90, and ride it a short way to the next exit. With all the hills ahead, the chance to cut off 500 ft of climbing sounds good.

Barry muscles his bike over the fence, panniers and all.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not many cars in the eastbound lane of I-90 this morning
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our shortcut runs less than 2 miles over the lake on a wide shoulder to the ID-97 exit, downhill all the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The exit puts us back on our route and the work starts. We’re on the ID-97 Scenic Byway that runs along the Lake Coeur d’Alene but are too occupied with the hills and the traffic to focus on the scenery. There’s no shoulder on much of this part, just some wide spots around the switchbacks where we can pull off and let the vehicles pass. There are a lot of large trucks and boats; fortunately they tend to come in clusters so we can make progress in the gaps. 

Not much space there by the barriers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back from a switchback at the I-90 bridge over the water and the scenic road along the shore
Heart 2 Comment 0

After we reach the top, David calls with another route tip, to turn left off of ID-97 on Burma Road. It’s a shortcut inland away from the traffic that takes us to the longest, steepest hill of the day.

Cranking up the hill. It is a lot quieter here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The twisty drop down from the top of the hill is awesome fun.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Five miles later we’re back on ID-97 and the last 14 miles are very pleasant. There are few trucks; it looks like mostly local traffic. The rolling hills are more gentle and there are pretty views of the lake through the trees. 

Scenic 97 at Carlin Bay. Lake Coeur d’Alene goes on and on, 32 miles long
Heart 1 Comment 0
Listening to the birds on the quiet part of ID 97
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ogling the vacation homes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fluffy blue flowers on the hillside
Heart 1 Comment 0
Final drop into Harrison
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just north of Harrison, from a bridge over the Coeur d’Alene River we look down on the Trail of the Couer d’Alenes. In its heyday Harrison was a port for sternwheelers and a railroad town that supported the mining and lumber industries. Now it’s a destination for people riding the trail.

Tucked between the trail and the lake, the city campground and RV park is our accommodation for tonight. The tent sites in the campground are right on the lake and there’s a good breeze keeping the bugs away. We pitch the tent, grab a quick shower and walk up for dinner.

The Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes, our path for tomorrow
Heart 2 Comment 0
The trail runs right by the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice site by the lake
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great Hawaiian food at Rowan’s Island Grill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rip your overalls? We'll give you a new pair. Good deal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Since 1953 Harrison has held its Old Time Picnic in the city park in late July, featuring a pancake breakfast, fishing derby, baby crawling contest, obstacle course, sack race, and a greased pole climb.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good micro brew lineup at One-Shot Charlies
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back at camp, we visit with our friendly neighbors, Sarah and Shaun and their family from Spokane. A bunch of their kids were running around earlier; now most of them are in bed but still giggling. It’s a family tradition to  come out here to camp, fish and hang out by the lake. Really nice folks.

Perfect end to a beautiful day
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 568 miles (914 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonHarrison looked to me like it would be. Great place to stay when we biked through it. You’ve got some beautiful riding ahead!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago