Doodling around Spokane - Northwest Trails - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2023

Doodling around Spokane

The quiet neighborhood where Nick and Addie Grow live with their boys is just a couple miles from downtown Spokane. The streets are pretty quiet as we ride down to check it out and do some errands.

Crossing to the south side of the river, everything we’re here for is close by - bike shops, post office, electronics stores and Riverfront Park. 

Spokane has a strong mural culture. I like the trees and rapids on the river here
Heart 2 Comment 0
Community scene at Salem Lutheran Church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spokane County Auditor’s Office, the center for elections, marriage licenses, deeds, all the official things
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge over the Spokane River
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking west from the bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0

At the Bike Hub we find an Allen bolt for my shoe cleat and a spare.  I’m also looking for advice on how to keep the grips on my bike from slipping down. Gluing them on doesn’t seem like the best strategy. The manager suggests we look for locking grips. I did not know about those. We find a pair at the Spoke ‘N Sport shop a mile away. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

After a swing by the post office to mail some more stuff home, it’s lunchtime. We’re looking around for a restaurant with outdoor seating so we can keep an eye on the bikes. At Riverfront Park we find a half-dozen food trucks and some cafe tables. Perfect.

The fountain at Riverfront Park
Heart 2 Comment 0
So far I’ve counted eight musicians performing on the streets downtown. Daniel Hall is set up by the food trucks; great lunchtime sound.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We’re hoping to paddle the river in the sunshine this afternoon. A little ways further down the Centennial Trail we find the site for Fun Unlimited kayak rentals, but it turns out their season opening date is next week. Oh well, there’s plenty to see around the park. The bikes are an ideal way to explore the trails that wind through it.

The Great Northern Clock Tower anchored the railroad depot built in 1892. The depot and all the tracks were demolished for Expo ‘74 but the tower was preserved.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Washington State Pavilion was the centerpiece of Expo ‘74, serving as a performing arts venue for entertainers like Jack Benny, Ella Fitzgerald, and Isaac Stern.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The metal fence along the river is festooned with whimsical art.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Garden paths
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rapids at Riverfront Park. We’ll follow the Spokane River east all the way to Lake Coeur d’Alene, where it originates and flows west towards the Columbia River.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nectar wine shop looks like a good place to kill time
Heart 0 Comment 0
They have a terrace in back overlooking the valley
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back at the Grow family’s hacienda, Barry installs the new locking grips on my bike. He has to cut both of them down to fit. 

Nice work honey!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Over hamburgers for dinner we learn about some of Nick and Addie’s bicycling touring adventures. Before they had kids they did a big loop through Washington, from the Columbia River to Twisp, Addie’s hometown. They’ve done some short tours with the kids when they were smaller and are ready for more. After dinner we all play a fierce game of Uno.

Feeling very lucky to spend some time with this sweet family
Heart 4 Comment 0

In the morning the family is up early, off to school and work. I’ve encouraged them to come to Missouri to ride with us on the Katy Trail - the longest rail-trail in the country. It would be great fun to bike with this crew someday.

Nick, Cliff and Calvin
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 484 miles (779 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0