A day of beauty on the Historic Columbia River Highway Trail - Northwest Trails - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2023

A day of beauty on the Historic Columbia River Highway Trail

To Ainsworth State Park

After yesterday's long journey to Hood River we are both happy to have a shorter ride today. There's time for a soak in the big bathtub of our room at the Columbia Gorge Hotel, breakfast in the dining room and a walk in the garden. 

This really is a lovely hotel. I'm not leaving a minute before checkout time.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThis hotel is an iconic piece of Gorge history. It was closed for 3 or 4 years but has been renovated. That garden is amazing.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Andrea BrownI am so happy we stayed here. We had no idea of the heritage of this place. It was a wonderful experience.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Across the river in Underwood Washington the Tunnel Five Fire continues to burn
Heart 1 Comment 0

I haven't studied today's route too closely. The RidewithGPS cue sheet says we need to turn west on Highway 30. It doesn't say that Highway 30 is the same as I-84 here. We don't see any other roads going west so apparently this is the way. It's busy and loud but the shoulder is wide - plenty of space. The road is mostly downhill or flat for the part we have to ride and there are nice views of the river.

Pretty scenery for a highway
Heart 1 Comment 0

Six miles later we escape to a new segment of the Historic Columbia River State Trail in Viento State Park. The addition is part of a larger project that will eventually extend the trail east to Hood River. That will complete an amazing bike route from The Dalles to Troutdale.

Deliverance
Heart 3 Comment 0

The trail continues through Starvation Creek State Park. It's Monday of the holiday weekend and young families are out in force on the trail, riding through the thick fir forest past cool waterfalls.

Ahh, that's better
Heart 3 Comment 0
I love to see kids on bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Cabin Creek Falls
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful stonework on the historic highway trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back from ten miles downriver, we can see the smoke plumes rising from the Tunnel Fire
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail ends back on Historic Highway 30 where our hill of the day starts. It's a good one, gaining 500 feet over a mile and a half, then we give it all back going down the other side. Thankfully it's the only big climb on today's ride.

Lots of room on the shady historic highway 30
Heart 2 Comment 0
We're seeing a lot of this today. Possibly Pink Oleander?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Andrea BrownIt's a perennial sweet pea, Lathyrus latifolius, kind of invasive but pretty.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Andrea BrownIt seems that most of the extravagant flowers we have seen on this trip are invasive species.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
In Cascade Locks, the hydrangeas remind me of Cape Cod
Heart 2 Comment 0

At the Columbia Market in Cascade Locks we pick up some good sandwiches for lunch. I'm surprised they don't have any local cherries in the store. Then a little ways up the street just before the Bridge of the Gods we find a small fruit stand where a woman is selling cherries grown on her family's farm in Dufur, Oregon,  20 miles south of The Dalles.  

Nice spot by the river for a picnic behind the Best Western
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks
Heart 1 Comment 0

After lunch we have just ten miles to go, starting on another fun section of the Historic Columbia River State Trail. This part winds through the forest and crosses under or over the interstate highway five times. 

Pine needles carpet this part of the trail
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oceanspray flowers cascade down from the trees.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tunnel under the highway
Heart 4 Comment 0

Approaching Eagle Creek my Wahoo gps device beeps again, letting us know that there's another little hill coming up. The trail leads us right to a three-story concrete stairway. We look around to see if we missed a turn. Nope. Before we start portaging the bikes I walk up the stairs to see where they go and find the trail continues on from there.

Yep, this is the way
Heart 2 Comment 3
Andrea BrownMany a bike tourist fumes at these stairs.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Andrea BrownI guess I would too if we had to handle them very often, but for a one time deal it was an interesting experience
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamThey’re irksome, for sure. It seems like for all that’s been invested on this trail it wouldn’t be that much more to upgrade this.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

The bikes are too heavy to carry loaded so the panniers come off for the first trip up the stairs. Then we see there are grooves on the sides where we can roll the bikes up. Those are a big help. 

Heart 0 Comment 2
marilyn swettI sure remember navigating those steps with our recumbent tandem! Luckily we were coming down them and not going up. But we still had to take off all of the panniers.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo marilyn swettI'm not sure what's harder, going up or down but wrestling a tandem sure sounds like a high wire act. Those stairs were steep!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Adventure!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI think they’re actually easier going up.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The stairway takes us up to another lookout over the Gorge
Heart 2 Comment 0
More passageways under the highway
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bird's eye view over the interstate
Heart 0 Comment 0
An amazing day on the trail
Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally the trail leads us back to Historic Highway 30 and Ainsworth State Park, our destination for tonight. All the regular campsites are full but there is plenty of space in the Hiker-Biker area, a deal at $7 per person.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The group Hiker-Biker area in Ainsworth has bench seats around the fire ring, a picnic table and half a dozen level tent spaces. The shower house is nearby. There are three other tents set up but we don't see anyone else here until morning, a puzzler. 

A quiet night in the campground
Heart 2 Comment 0

We split our last dehydrated meal, Three-Bean Chili, which is just ok but a filling start. Dinner is substantially improved by an extended dessert course of apples, mangos, sweet local cherries, chocolate and wine.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 1,254 miles (2,018 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0