Lake Moeraki to Makaroa: Haast Pass climb - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

February 5, 2017

Lake Moeraki to Makaroa: Haast Pass climb

We finally had perfect weather for a bike ride. We left Lake Moeraki and the amazing wilderness lodge for Makaroa where the only accommodation in the area are some A frame huts that are complete with everything you need, but a little rustic. We had a lovely ride before Haast Pass in a pace line of six people lead by our male German friends. I love riding with all of our German friends because they remind me of my time in Germany riding with a German cycle club. I learned to ride in a group with a club from Kippenheim and to this day that is how I like to ride. They are very safe pointing out all the problems on the road, they make sure the group stays together adjusting their pace accordingly and they wait for the weakest rider. I wish every group would ride like this, it is so much more fun than trying to out do one another, not every ride has to be a race. As for the ride we did 111km with 4600ft of climbing. There were 3 nasty bumps at the beginning and one mean climb (Haast Pass) at the end. The last time I was here it was raining and hailing on us so the weather today was a vast improvement. I would like to say I road the whole climb but I can't. Four years older, a few pounds heavier and one less gear than last time made the continuous 13% grades after 85km more than I could manage. I did ride a good 80% of the climb but not the toughest parts. Fortunately this time the weather was good enough to enjoy the downhill and the ride all the way to our stop for the night. The best part was the beer at the end of the ride.

A view of the Tasman Sea when the weather was clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the mountains along the Haast River as we approached Haast Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary in the hollow of a Rimu tree pretending to be a hobbit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of our group at the Roaring Billy falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding across the longest single lane bridge in NZ and indeed the southern hemisphere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mt Aspiring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the summit of Haast Pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our unique accommodation for the night at Makaroa population 65 and of course our laundry.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 111 km (69 miles)
Total: 1,614 km (1,002 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0