Makaroa to Wanaka: Finally downwind!!! - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

February 6, 2017

Makaroa to Wanaka: Finally downwind!!!

After a long and tough day climbing Haast Pass we had a short 63km to Wanaka. There was 2800ft of climbing but over several smaller climbs rather than one big one. There was a small amount of rain at the start but we soon rode out of it and into sunshine. The best part of the ride was the 20-30kph tail wind. It made the 10%+ climbs almost easy. The ride into Hawea along the lake is spectacular with the mountains across the lake. Once we arrived in Wanaka we wandered the town and did a little retail therapy. Even though dinner was at our own expense tonight we collectively decided to have a group dinner followed by ice cream because we are truly enjoying each others company. Sadly two of our members will leave us in Queenstown tomorrow.

A view of Lake Wanaka before the weather improved
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Hawea and the Crown range
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary on the way to Wanaka
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jochen or as we call him Joe on the way to Wanaka. He is a very good cyclist but a bit of a wild man on a bike. He clocked 75kph on one of the downhills and he tells that his record is 99.8kph.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of Lake Wanaka.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After the weather improved we had to strip at the side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good weather and a nice downhill
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little retail therapy. New cycle shorts, an NZ brand, and an Icebreaker shirt. I love Icebreaker Merino wool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our group dinner at a great Italian restaurant in Wanaka.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The requisite ice cream for dessert.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,677 km (1,041 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0