To Laces/Latsch - Reaching New Heights - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2021

To Laces/Latsch

Once I’d made the decision to return to Munich over the Reschen Pass, I needed to stage my ride north along the Via Claudia Augusta. The two considerations were the climbs and when to schedule the shuttle ride over Fern Pass. I’d read enough to know that cycling over Fern Pass – either on the road or on the alternate the mountain bike trail – was not in the cards. Considering all the variables, Laces/Latsch seemed like the best destination for today’s ride.

There really is not much to say about the ride, other than it was quite enjoyable. It was a cool sunny day along a well-signed route – a little climbing, but the views kept getting better and better all day after entering the Val Venosta/Vinschgau valley. I was not the only one who considered it a fine day for a bike ride – I crossed paths with  more than a hundred cyclists - most were heading down the valley though a fair number sped past.

The route from Bolzano to Merano was mostly flat, following the Adige River. It was apple harvest time, and the route was flanked with trees bursting with red and yellow fruit. There was a nip in the air and leaves were changing color – it was definitely fall, my favorite time of year. 

Castle high up on the banks of the Adige River
Heart 4 Comment 0
It looks like there's more snow in the mountains than yesterday - hope I brought enough cold weather gear!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Apples were a big theme today
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A common site in the Val Venosta/Vinschgau valley this time of year
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way to Merano
Heart 4 Comment 0
A bicycle built for four
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow. It would be worth waiting around to see them hop on.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The route skirted south of Merano and climbed away from the Adige River – not too bad a climb, with a series of switchbacks near the end that brought you to a nice overlook of Merano and the surrounding area. A special treat was the Trauttmannsdorff Thrones, a pair of giant Adirondack chairs on which a family of four could easily have a picnic.   

The Adige River was a pleasant companion today - its rushing waters providing a constant low roar that was music to my ears.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Ready for the three mile climb out of Merano
Heart 4 Comment 0
View of Merano and surrounding area
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Trauttmannsdorff Thrones
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view of the Trauttmannsdorff Thrones
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Via Claudia Augusta passes through the Val Venosta/Vinschgau valley, which runs along the upper reaches of the Adige River to its source at Reschen Pass. The valley is stunning – with acres and acres of terraced orchards and vineyards draped across and up the valley, all surrounded by mountains and ice-capped glaciers. It is also a very, very popular cycling and hiking spot for both nearby residents and visitors. In fact, there are shuttles and/or trains that regularly transport people and bikes up the valley – allowing them a carefree bike ride back down. The bike path was crowded with people of all ages and all shapes and sizes, each embracing this spectacular fall day. I was delighted to be part of it.

There was a steady flow of people out enjoying a beautiful fall day
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the way to Laces/Latsch
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the way to Laces/Latsch
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of many crossings of the Adige
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heading up the Adige River
Heart 3 Comment 0
Terraced orchards and vineyards in the Val Venosta/Vinschgau
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kastelbell Castle
Heart 3 Comment 0

I arrived in Laces/Latsch about two-thirty and stopped at the local gelato stand for a double scoop before heading over to my Pension. There was some confusion on my part when I tried to enter my room using the keys to Christiane’s Paris apartment and then gave Christiane’s keys to the Pension staff – not realizing right away what they were.  I had a bit of trouble getting Christiane’s keys back due to the fact that no one spoke English, only German. Thankfully another guest understood English well enough to explain the situation and Christiane keys are now safely stored with my passport. Crisis averted – no need to spoil a splendid day.

Vivien George has a little buddy at the gelato stand
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 771 miles (1,241 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonLooks like a great day. Don’t forget to dash up Stelvio on your way by tomorrow!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterTo Scott AndersonHaHa - or maybe I’ll just wave as I go by
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonBeautiful photos! Looks like it was amazing ride!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael - it was wonderful!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago