Elk River - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2021

Elk River

There’s always something.

Well, that’s probably not actually true.  I’m sure that there are some bike trips that start out more or less perfectly - nothing left behind, no missed connections, no annoying or maddening interactions, no equipment problems.  It’s not been our experience personally, but I’m sure others routinely soar smoothly to their starting point, easily unpack or reassemble their bikes and blithely pedal off into the sunrise.

Not us though.  There’s always something.  I was thinking we finally had a clean break this time - nothing lost or forgotten that we know of so far  (well, except for that Garmin cable we left back at the apartment; but that doesn’t count because we recovered it in time), and both Bike Fridays reassembled easily - until the very end of the process, when Rachael’s front wheel wouldn’t spin freely.  Somehow the front brake disk got slightly bent and has a wobble in it such that it rubs against the brake pads.  I must have mispacked the wheel somehow. 

This is why we now always stay for a day or two in our initial stop on a tour, and arrive midweek when shops are open and we can get help if we need it.  I check out the nearby bike shops and like the looks of Ramsey Bicycles, so we head over there right when they open at 10.  They look at the brake, agree with my diagnosis, and ask if they can keep it for an hour.

When we return, I’m startled to be billed only $15.  I assumed I’d be buying a new disc plate, but they have a disc straightening tool and were able to salvage it.  Very cool.  I wonder how it works?  Can you just iron them out?

Two big thumbs up for Ramsey Bicycles.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Ben ParkeIt’s a sort of special wrench. Park tool sells one. I’ve got one out in the garage. I’ve had perpetual problems with the discs on my Bacchetta Giro. You basically just wrench the disc back flat. Might be a tool worth having on you since you pack those bikes up a few times a year.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ben ParkeA DT-2 Rotor Tuning Fork! What a great addition to the tool bag. I’ll have to watch for one the next time I’m in a bike store. I’m surprised they’re so malleable. I guess we’ve done well to not have needed one yet over the last three years since we got our first disc brakes.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

So finally, after two months of anticipating this day we get to put some miles on the board.  They’re miles in the wrong direction, true - we’re biking upriver on a loop to Elk River and back on a shakeout ride while we wait for the girls to get out from school so we can take them shopping - but we aren’t prejudiced.  All Miles Matter.

We don’t start biking until nearly noon, and once we do we get off to a slow start.  Our ride begins with a short run along the Anoka waterfront on the Rum River, just up from its confluence with the Mississippi.  It gives me a different, more balanced view of this town, which before now I knew only as the home of Michelle Bachmann.  There’s a delightful, short pedestrian/bike path here with informative panels giving historical context about Anoka’s past.  We find several reasons to stop, and then take an early lunch sitting on half-log benches by the riverfront.  Three miles of riding in on this tour already, and it’s barely noon!

The end of the short-lived Rum River. It empties into the Mississippi just around the bend. Its name comes from a misinterpretation of the Dakota name, Watpa waḳaŋ (Spirit River).
Heart 1 Comment 0

I’d never heard of the Rum River, but as soon as I did I wanted to see it just because of its curious name.  Originating 150 miles upstream at Mille Lacs Lake, it sounds worth exploring - it’s one of only six designated wild and scenic rivers in Minnesota.  Surprisingly, its name reportedly derives in a roundabout way from the name the Dakotas gave it: Watpa waḳaŋ (Spirit(ual)/Mystic River).  There was apparently a misunderstanding over the sense in which the river was spiritual.

On the Anoka waterfront.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunchtime on the Rum, sitting under an impressive cottonwood and enjoying the Subway sandwich we picked up earlier on the way back from Ramsey Bicycles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Anoka waterfront. Yesterday was Memorial Day, and there are still plenty of flags waving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here’s a unique finding. I consider picking up an inspirational rock to toss into Rocky’s pannier - maybe the large yellow one one the left - to give us a lift on a dark day down the road, but she nixes it.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauThe Anoka Kindness Rock Garden is a fine example of "Minnesota Nice." It's a real thing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnIf we happen upon this park, I will slip a small rock into one of Ron's panniers.

A great show of Minnesota nice!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The Rum River Dam, in Anoka just above its confluence with the Mississippi.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our first ride along the Mississippi was quite nice, and deserved more attention than we gave it.  Because of our late start we were time boxed and treated it more as a fast-paced shakedown ride up to Elk River on the right bank and back to Anoka and Coon Rapids on the left.  We followed the MRT (Mississippi River Trail) both ways, as along this part of the river there’s a designated route on both sides.  Especially attractive was a several mile bike path south of Elk River that crossed a marsh and included a rattly wood plank stretch about a quarter of a mile long.  We both wished we’d had time to go slower.

Crossing the mighty river at Anoka. It’s amazingly broad already, only a few hundred miles from its source.
Heart 2 Comment 0
With time for only a few quick photo stops, the Catholic Church in Dayton merited one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the MRT, north of Dayton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This stretch of the Lake Itaska Trail was fantastic. It reminds me of a similar trail in Taiwan. We should go back for a more leisurely ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We’re in a hurry because we’re late for a very important date: a shopping spree we promised Haylee and Ashley.  We said we’d be there at 3:30, right after they’re both off school; but it’s after four when we finally arrive.  It’s partly our fault, but mostly it’s because of the interminable stoplights here.  I’m sure we spent a full half hour on our ride waiting for the walking green, and one of them held us up for a full three minutes.  And the rush hour traffic around Anoka was excruciating - it took us nearly a half hour to drive the seven or eight miles from our motel to their home.

When we finally arrive we are both thoroughly stressed out, and not at all interested in driving to the nearest mall, back in Anoka.  The girls both look crushed, so we quickly run through alternatives and set off for the Northtown Mall, further away but a much faster drive.

So what’s available at the Northtown Mall?
Heart 1 Comment 0

The shopping spree is a delight, greatly enjoyed by all.  Ashley and Haylee are wonderful together, encouraging each other and helping each other decide what they can’t live without.  The main target was a good pair of walkers for Ashley, who’d like to keep up with her fast moving dad on his cardiac walks but gets blisters from her too small, unsupportive  tennies.  Also delightful for me was watching Rachael take these two under her wings - a natural doting grandmother.  And I did a great job driving and carrying shopping bags.

Shopping is fun! We should do this more often.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Should be perfect for those hot 95 degree days ahead.
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we get back Shawn is crashed on the couch, spent after a strenuous hour at his cardiac therapy session.  The girls are expecting a phone call from their mom momentarily, but there’s just time for a quick fashion show before we excuse ourselves for the evening and dash off to an Italian restaurant more to our tastes than theirs.  We enjoy a surprisingly fine meal sitting outdoors under the trees.  We show discipline and take a pass on the special appetizer of the day, walleye cakes - but Rachael’s pecan-crusted salmon was amazing.  My dish was fine too, but I definitely should have had what she chose.

Fashion show!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 35 miles, 900’

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 35 miles (56 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Bruce LellmanI think you would agree it's much better to mention Anoka as the hometown of Garrison Keillor rather than Michelle Bachmann.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanHe’s from here also? I wasn’t aware of that. What a well rounded little community!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnShopping spree!! This will be a memorable visit for Haylee and Ashely. How cool that you did this with them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnWe really should meet up more often. I think they both remember every time we’ve visited.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago