Playing Tourist in Istanbul - Heading mostly South through Eastern Europe - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2015 to October 10, 2015

Playing Tourist in Istanbul

I've been doing all of the usual tourist stuff in Istanbul. I've visited the Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, the Archeology Museum, and the Museum of Turkish and Arabic Arts. I took a boat ride on the Bosphorus, visited Galata Bridge at sunset, and walked along the water for a while. I got lost in the Grand Bazaar. I took a ferry over to the Asian side and wandered through the markets.

It has been fun, but it also has been frustrating. The history here is amazing. The mix of Christian and Moslem art and artifacts is fascinating, especially at Hagia Sophia. I enjoyed the Archeology Museum with it's artifacts going back to the ancient Egyptians (and all those sarcophagi!). I've attached a bunch of pictures. I hope the captions provide adequate explanations of what each one is.

It has also been really crowded at the museums and in the old city. If this is what it's like in the low season, I can't imagine the high season. Yesterday I saw 3 cruise ships docked here. I spoke to one man who told me he was on a cruise with 1800 people from Mary Kay Cosmetics. I think that was the Holland America boat. No one seems to manage the crowds from the boats, and the museums and other sites end up with really long lines. Once you've entered one of the sites, you can't leave and re-enter on the same ticket, so if the line inside is too long you need to find a way to deal with it or skip that exhibit.

Then there are the carpet salesmen. "Hello lady, where you from? I have a cousin near there. Don't worry, I'm not a tour guide. I want to be your friend. Come share a cup of tea with me." Then they get you into the shop and you find out they are selling carpets and they turn you over to a real salesman. Ignoring them feels rude, but it seems to be the only way to escape their clutches. Even if you tell them you're not interested and aren't buying, they seem to think that once they get you inside they can change your mind. And that cousin who lives nearby - I told one guy that I'm from the moon, and he told me he has a brother near there. The aggressive sales pitch makes me hesitate to talk with anyone.

  1. Basilica Cistern
    Inside the Basilica Cistern.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    One of the Medusa Head columns in the Basilica Cistern. The origin of the head (at the base of a pillar) is uncertain, and the meaning of the orientation of the head subject to debate.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    The other Medusa head.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  2. Archeology Museum
    In the Archeology Museum, Portal Lion, 8th century B.C.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Medusa medallion, in the Archeology Museum, from the Imperial Museum.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Archeology Museum, sarcophagus from the Royal Necropolis of Sidon (unearthed in 1887).
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Details from some sarcophagi.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  3. Grand Bazaar
    Inside the Grand Bazaar.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    One of several entrances to the Grand Bazaar.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  4. Hagia Sophia
    The Blue Mosque seen from inside Hagia Sophia.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Inside Hagia Sophia.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Dome inside Hagia Sophia.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Ramp, access to upper level in Hagia Sophia.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Mosaic in Hagia Sophia, Constantine offering Virgin Mary and Christ child the city of Constantinople, and Justinian offering Hagia Sophia.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  5. Galata Bridge
    Fishermen on the Galata Bridge.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Fishermen on the Galata Bridge at sunset.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Galata from the bridge, including the Galata Tower.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    The Blue Mosque at night.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  6. Topkapi Palace, including Harem
    A significant part of the palace is devoted to kitchens. There are separate kitchens for the sultan, the support staff, the harem. On pay days, the army gets fed. It's all about food, right?
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Many of the rooms, especially in the Harem, are decorated with Iznik tiles. Iznik tiles were made in the 15th through 17th centuries in western Anatolia. They are considered by some people as the zenith of Ottoman art.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Closer look at some Iznik tiles. There are many variations.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    A dome in the Harem. They try to emphasize that the Harem was really just day to day life, not debauchery as perceived by some of the west.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  7. Bosphorus cruise.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    The first of 2 bridges connecting Europe with Asia.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    The European side, on the business side, from the ferry.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Turkish delight and baklava!
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  8. Museum of Turkish and Arabic Arts
    A lot of the museum is devoted to calligraphy through the ages, and in particular to calligraphy in the Quran.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    The Turkish and Arabic Arts Museum has quite a collection of ancient carpets.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  9. The market in Kadikoy on the Asian side
    Vegetable market in Kadikoy.
    Heart 1 Comment 0
    Fish market in Kadikoy, on the Asian side of Istanbul.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
  10. Miscellaneous pictures
    In Hagia Irene, getting ready for a symphony concert in the evening. Hagia Irene is included in the Museum Card, but there really isn't anything to see. Maybe that's because the upper levels are closed off for restoration.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Kennedy Road, near the ferry terminal. A nice surprise!
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Queuing up for tickets to Hagia Sophia. Inside, there are more lines. I didn't go in at this time.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Walking up one of the side streets, toward a main street. Istanbul has steep hills, and only the main roads (at least in this area) have tarmac.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Heart 0 Comment 0

Shopping for bag

Hagia Irene

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0