rain go away - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2019

rain go away

Vitoria-Gasliez to Estella

Awoke to similar cold rainy weather as yesterday.  Retracing  my route back into town using the same wide path in the main street past the football stadium to get back into town near the railway station. I could see where the former railway left the current line passing through a couple of roundabouts before the developed Vias Verdes heading towards Estella actually begins. Initially the rail trail was fine with some sections paved and others gravel and not too wet, just damp surface from yesterday and I even saw the sun for brief glimpses. On a warmer day would have been enjoyable ride with some good views and even better sections through forests. There was a small branch line  I could have cycle and many former stations had information boards, explaining the history of the railway line and the various stations. Went past a few walkers and had a few day cyclist on the trail. 

Wide path on the south-side of the railway station in Vitoira
Heart 0 Comment 0
few bridges built for the rail trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
few former stations today with information boards
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still walkers out despite the weather
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sun out at times
Heart 0 Comment 0
Few tunnels today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the Vias Verdes map I knew that I would have to leave the rail right of way to bypass a 2km long rail tunnel. we I arrived at the tunnel entrance, I could see how the tunnel is flooded, with a river of water flowing out of it. The few cyclist I saw on the trail all turned around here and headed back as this tunnel went through a mountain range. While the bypass involves going over with initially a steep gravel path for 2kms before some roller coaster cycling for 3kms before descending for another 2kms, so was not much fun and while getting over, rain began.  Ended up walking bicycle up some hills, so can see why I didn't see any other cyclist on this section.

Northern end of flooded former rail tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rough track to get over closed tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Thankfully once rejoining rail trail, the town of Maestu was not far away so was able to shelter there for a bit. However with a railway themed interpretive centre in the next town of Antonana, which I assumed would be close for siesta, meant I continued on in the rain through more tunnels buy in some places was forced off the rail right of way but highway was quiet. Finding indeed the interpretive centre does closed at 2:30pm and is only open on weekends except in high summer, when it is open more often. I was there before 2pm so was able to learn more about the railways history. It was built in stages between 1890’s and 1930’s and is a narrower gauge than Spanish gauge but only slightly less than Standard Gauge and closed in 1967. Spanish Gauge is larger than Standard Gauge which means normal Spanish trains cannot travel into France. While the newer fast trains are built at Standard Gauge so trains can travel into France and beyond but this does mean that in Spain the fast and normal speed trains operate a separate system so cannot run on each others tracks. Unlike in France where TGV trains can use slower tracks if need be. They also had maps of the local area and information on things to see around the place, could have seen more of the area but with rain around wasn't the day to explore.

Interpretive centre in Antonana, man was inside to help
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes cycling was like this today
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rain looked like continuing all afternoon so thought if I do another 16kms should make a caravan park to either camp or stay inside depending on weather and there facilities. However soon after leaving the rain eased and basically stopped for the rest of the day. As well a slight tailwind and gradual descending route meant I felt like I was flying along so kept going. Along the way crossing on a large rail a viaduct and went through a 1.4km long tunnel that had lights. Occasionally had to leave rail right of way before a final tunnel and a paved path into Estella. 

Viaduct and then tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Same tunnel above
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tailwind and no rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rough path in places
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another former station
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Was in town before 5pm and after visiting tourist information centre found things to see and found indoor accommodation to dry off. Estella is on the same religious Camino Santiago trail as Burgos, so has lots of religious facts, sites and tourist along with accommodation. Not meaning to be on that route, Vias Verdes is just taking me that way.

One changing challenge in the Basque region is that Spanish is the secondary language and English is now often missing from information. For example a museum on wars in the region, was interesting but I missed a lot of info because there was no English.

Hadn't been able to find Wifi today until Estella. When I did outside the Santander bank was shocked to read that the Australian federal election had not gone as predicted by everyone and the current conservative government had survived. Not the result I wanted or expected.

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,789 km (1,111 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0