rail trail tunnels in flood - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2019

rail trail tunnels in flood

Pamplona to Hermani

Awoke on Monday with sun out, so was looking forward to staying dry today. The plan was to follow the Plazaola Vias Verde which went from Pamplona to nearly San Sebastion connecting with the main railway line between Vitoria-Gasliez and Irun at Andoain, it closed in 1958. The first section leaving Pamplona is not officially a rail trail yet but is gravel track which had a few walkers on it before going through an army base so had to divert away. Once I found it again it’s much rougher surface as it climbs up to a pass meeting the highway and path is lost. As rejoin highway, I realised my camera was missing from its bag located on the top post of the middle of my bike. Thankfully after retracing to rail formation, found the camera straight away.

Path about to leave existing rail line
Heart 0 Comment 0
rails left in situ, had to divert away to go under road
Heart 0 Comment 0
This marks where a rail tunnel was, as I'm about to descend to former rail right of way
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rough climb up to highway pass
Heart 1 Comment 0
alpine in nature today
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the town of Sarasa the rail trail starts with a decent surface. During morning tea, chatted to a local cyclist,  we would meet later on. For the next 10kms most of the route is on rail right of way but some sections divert away usually meaning some short steep sections of climbing. The further I went along the more scenic it becomes with a large mountain on my left with houses looking very alpine in nature. In the town of Irurtzun, my cyclist friend was there and he explained how I had to go around a closed tunnel and he suggested a route but I had found another route.

Sarasa
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still on rail trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses very alpine in style
Heart 1 Comment 0

My route turned out to not be the correct way to go by a bicycle as it turns into a goat track after crossing a fast flowing river, on a skinny pedestrian bridge. Left bicycle to walked on a bit further  but track got muddier,  I could have kept walking but would have required lifting bike up goat track and was slippery downhill and wasn’t sure when it would become okay to cycle. As well I could see a secondary highway across the river and on the other side of the freeway, so back tracked and joined the quiet highway, which went through 2 tunnels which I suspect where railway tunnels as it looks like a railway line came in here. Some how the rail trail starts on the opposite side of the river but I couldn’t see how you get there so continued on the highway. The rail trail crosses the highway and mostly follows the highway for about 5kms before diverting away and this is where the rail trail becomes more consistent staying on rail route for most part. Still going around some tunnels but staying flat. 

Thought this bridge led to rail trail, it didn't
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gave up here when path required bicycle to be drag up hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
I believe tunnel is former railway, as freeway goes through larger gap
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
bypassing rail tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Mugiro I started to enjoy the ride more as I didn’t have to worry about diverting away. The railway went  around the edge of towns usually high above towns, enjoying the views but still climbing at railway grade. Was concerned with a 2.7km long tunnel would be closed as it  crosses the high point of the day but thankfully it was open with okay lighting inside. However, the majority of the floor is covered in flowing water and in some places felt like pedals were nearly getting wet. Tunnel is straight and could see daylight at both ends.

Lekunberri station with tourist info, which was closed in afternoon
Heart 0 Comment 0
rail cutting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Style of houses in afternoon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Basque and Spanish language saying tunnel has lights
Heart 0 Comment 0
2.7kms of this
Heart 1 Comment 0

Out of the tunnel landscape is more remote but route is now a downhill direction and this continues for 30kms as I’m now descending nearly to the sea. Unlike the uphill route which had a few tunnels, I would now go through numerous tunnels often short but sometimes up to 600meters long. Since we had rain over the past 3 days most tunnels had water inside with some having showers of rain falling from the roof, in one tunnel it was 10 meters long worth of falling water. So eventually as the day got colder I put my rain jacket on to stop getting cold from water in tunnels as not a drop of water fell from the sky today. By the end was getting sick of tunnels as I was getting cold. 

When I crossed from the Navarre region to the Basque region the kilometre marking reset and changed type and suddenly all tunnels had no lights, no mater the length but thankfully all had cement floors. While the rest of the trail is a rougher surface because ballast has just been flattened and I suspect vehicles use it, near the end I saw logging trucks on the rail right of way. Thankfully was descending all the way following fast flowing rivers but would not be as fun climbing the rough surface as there is often water flowing across the trail, creating dips. In contrast most of Navarre section had a graded surface with sandy gravel added and cars appeared to be banned, so was a more a relaxing ride.

Downhill like this for a while
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
former station being reused
Heart 0 Comment 0
saw a few walkers on the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
First tunnel with shower of rain was fun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Had seen a few people every so often walking the trail today but no cyclist, this changed for the final 5kms to Andoain when the amount of people increased creating peak hour conditions, for the final 3kms the trail is paved. Busy road once in town and some short steep ride to end the day.

I had organised a warmshower near the town  of Hermani on a farm, where I could camp but Aritz was not home but his parents let me in. Should visit San Sebastián Tuesday  before starting my final Vias Verde in the afternoon and should be in France Wednesday.

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 1,939 km (1,204 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0