to Vitoria - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2019

to Vitoria

rain all day next day

With a warmshower organised in Vitoria-Gasteiz, I knew Thursday would be a shorter day so I could relax for my ride. Leaving quiet Espejo with a short retrace on the main road out of town before beginning a steep ride. Thankfully halfway along the ride is the scenic town of Salinas de Anana so was able to break the ride, town was still on a slope, with across the road there is a large salt mine display with tours but with none in English today so had a quick look from outside before starting an even steeper climb. 

Salt Mine, road beside it for a while
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wasn't allowed to go further without a tour
Heart 0 Comment 0

The descent is even steeper to the small town of Pobes where I crossed the railway line to Bilbao. A small train went past but looked like trains don't stop here. After crossing under the main freeway another short climb and descend took me into another valley to the town of Nanclares with the railway line to Irun passing through here, from here would followed closely the railway line to Vitoria-Gasteiz, stopping at a Roman ruins along the way for a short explore and for lunch.  Not much to see, especially  in comparison to previous Roman ruins.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Roman remains
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rest of the ride into Vitoria-Gasteiz was through industrial area before bike path takes me into city centre. Finding that unlike southern Spain, many people actually ride bicycles here for transport. Felt like I was actually back in the Europe I know. I assume cooler climate and the fact the streets are wider makes cycling more friendly. Vitoria-Gasteiz is hosting the men’s European basketball final four tournament this weekend, so city squares were busy with basketball promotions. 

Spent the afternoon exploring the city seeing some interesting buildings and visiting an army museums which focuses on the battle of Vitoria-Gasteiz which was when in 1813 Napoleon forces lost a battle and fled from Spain. Also learnt today that Bob Hawke, Australia’s Prime Minster when I was born, died today, which could influence the Federal election this Saturday. 

Escalator in get up between streets
Heart 0 Comment 0
Different style and more colourful buildings in northern Spain compared to white southern Spain
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of a few signs telling me about Vitoria and surrounding area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of wide spaces for cyclist with museums around
Heart 0 Comment 0

Around 5pm suddenly the temperature dropped and clouds appeared which was predicted as for the next few days weather is looking cold and rainy. Thankfully Alfredo my warmshower host offers me to stay 2 nights. Spent the evening learning about his cycling travels in particular in South America, which as he suggested as a native Spanish speaker was useful.  Not sure if my plans for the next few days because of weather.

Spent Friday not doing much, just some planning as it was cold but actually not much rain, just felt like it could fall anytime. Did manage to find some needle and thread to fix some clothing and organised my iphone notes on my trip so far. I also thought about cycling a rail trail heading north out of Vitoria but Alfredo, suggested it was less developed than the one towards Estella.

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,709 km (1,061 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0