Frankfurt: The horrors of train travel - A Miraculous Tour Around France and Germany - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2017

Frankfurt: The horrors of train travel

Train travel can be more exhausting than ridding many kilometres. Today we had three trains to catch to get back to Frankfurt. The first train was from Bayreuth to Nuremberg. It was ghastly a very high step to get the heavy bikes into the carriage, we couldn't secure the bikes so Ken had to stand up the whole way holding them and the rails so uneven that the train lurched all over the place and poor Ken felt terribly travel sick. We were a few minutes late arriving so just as we got too the platform our next train pulled out. I rushed Ito the station to reschedule things so we had to sit for an hour freezing as we waited for the train to Wurzburg. This was a journey of about an hour and a half, Ken still had to stand and hold the bikes again but the train didn't lurch so he didn't feel sick. We had a reasonable time between trains in Wurzburg but there were no lifts so it was a matter of unloading the bikes carrying them down one set of stairs then up another. Of course this all coincided with a massive group of school kids coming up the stairs completely unaware of us and the poor old man with the walking stick who was knocked over. We made it and boarded with a minute or two to spare and this time Ken was even able to sit for the two hour journey. Arriving in Frankfurt we were shattered so Ken has bought some filled rolls and that will do us for dinner.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 2,910 km (1,807 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0